• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lievre a la royale in Paris

ulterior epicure

LOL I didn't notice that penne, the first piece of cheese caught my eye its upside down. Looks good though! We don't have that around here so I think I'll have to get my fix off some beef cheek goulash with spatzle. When I am Paris I will keep my eyes open, but everyone I know seems to put off by this dish. Seems like a good thing to eat during Easter no?

Put off by this dish?? Blasphemy! This is indeed the Senateur Couteaux version.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The pasta was delicious. And the lievre was the best I've ever had.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I would have sent those pasta back. How they dare serving that in a socalled three stars is baffling to me, and yet another part of the Pré Catelan mistery.

Those supermarket penne rigate rolled in grease are indeed an insult to three-star dining. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them. I too am utterly baffled by what the Pré Catelan seems to get away with (up to and including the ridiculous, terribly-written three-ton book).

• 3 weeks later...

Also posted in Le Cinq section:

Le Cinq offers a lievre a la royale-esque dish, or at least did on last week's lunch menu. Quite delectable. Have never had LALR before, so cannot compare it to other versions, but there was no sauce on my plate when I was finished.

Also, Brillat-Savarin mentions a mouton a la royale. Same preparation?