• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas in Paris: markets

pennylane

What do you guys think about the Christmas markets in Paris? I get the impression everyone hates them because they're so commercial, overpriced and tacky. But I love them. I have a "bah humbug" husband who wouldn't dream of going to Strasbourg for the holidays ("how will we find a hotel with NASN?") so this is the only way I can get a taste of that Christmas spirit. Everything does seem really overpriced, though. I'm really tempted by the chocolate-coated rusk-type gingerbread I've seen at numerous stands (what are these? printen?) and also a vast array of different kinds of gingerbread cookies at the Alsatian stand at Gare de l'Est. Those in particular are quite pricey. I don't really mind but I don't want to be like those people in the American specialty stores forking out a fortune for things like oatmeal and sweet potatoes that are available everywhere. So what do you think? Are the Christmas markets a good place to buy these seasonal treats? And how seasonal are they, anyway? Can one get them at other times of the year? I found this online store which sells lebkuchen, printen , etc. really cheap. But then one has to pay for delivery by DHL. Any thoughts?

Having just returned from Paris, I was just about to post that Paris certainly has a festive air at this time of year. I am not much of a shopper/buyer of quintessential holiday crafts, although I can be had for seasonal foods which are well displayed at all levels from Champion through Bon Marche and Galleries Lafayette. And don't forget G. Detou on Tiquetonne for wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling holiday foods for pennies.

eGullet member #80.

Having just returned from Paris, I was just about to post that Paris certainly has a festive air at this time of year.  I am not much of a shopper/buyer of quintessential holiday crafts, although I can be had for seasonal foods which are well displayed at all levels from Champion through Bon Marche and Galleries Lafayette.  And don't forget G. Detou on Tiquetonne for wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling holiday foods for pennies.

Oh?? What is this place? It sounds intriguing... I must check it out. Thanks for the tip!