• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cooking Loft

FoodMan

The Cooking Loft

Kind of a silly name, but I've always liked Chef Guarnaschelli when she appeared on IC America as a contestant and judge. She runs her fine restaurant, Butter in Chicago, and teaches at CIA in NY. So, she is no hack. Of course it runs early Saturday morning, after all she does not have the huge fan base Sandra Lee has. So, will this be worth watching? Who knows, but I have my DVR set to start recording and we'll see what we get.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Saw a promo for this on FoodTV the other day. Looks interesting. Maybe it will be the USA version of the Cookworks show that was produced by FoodTV Canada and also aired in the USA.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I like her, both as chef on ICA, and as judge. I especially admired her perseverance in the face of Alton's got-old-quickly running joke about her cutting her finger. Each time he referred to her grave injury, she took time from her few minutes left to gamely humor his own tired humor with a smile or retort or mime of swoon.

I DID think the guinea hen got used up, worn out and done-to-death, appearing like Hamlet in every scene save one, smote hip and thigh and liver, as well, but boy did she make good use of it! (But where did she get that helper who fried those lacy eggs?? I know quail eggs are little, but if you take up the banner, you'd better be able to fly it).

And I like her own sense of humor, her sense of who she is , and though I missed the first show, I'm charmed by the fey sparkleness of the effects.

I'm such a sucker for magic.

Sorry, I wrongly said she instructus at the CIA instead of ICE. Also, she runs the Butter in NY not the one in Chicago.

I think the show is ok and will watch a few more episodes to see how it develops. It does have the look and feel of some of the good imported shows from the UK. Not a bad thing. Now only if FTV will import a few of Fearnley-Whittingstal's shows..

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

saw the most recent show where she did fried chicken. It was OK. But good enough to keep the season pass on the TiVo to see if it improves like I have seen with other new cooking shows.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

saw the most recent show where she did fried chicken. It was OK.  But good enough to keep the season pass on the TiVo to see if it improves like I have seen with other new cooking shows.

Not sure why my stupid DVR decided to not record this week's episode...oh well we'll see if I get next week's.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...