• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

toms place

just saw in Evening standard that they have closed toms place pre empting legal action about the "smell" any ideas on when/if it is likely to reopen?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

remember JC expanded very quickly from one restaurant into about 5 split between london france and south africa iirc, of course eventually became too much and went bust.

given tom's bamford (the B in JCB diggers) family backing he may have more luck.....

you don't win friends with salad

remember JC expanded very quickly from one restaurant into about 5 split between london france and south africa iirc, of course eventually became too much and went bust.

given tom's bamford (the B in JCB diggers) family backing he may have more luck.....

Touche Gary

Tom Aikens. Toms Diner. Tom Place. Toms Ripped-Off-From-Grocer-On-Elgin Ready Meals. Toms Traiteur Concession in Selfridges (which doesn't seem to be Toms branded anymore?).

My basic contention is one man simply can't stretch so far. It can be done (as Gordon Ramsay has shown) if you have an extensive, trusted and well established back up team. I'm not convinced TA is the kind of guy to run that sort of show.

Definite shades of J-CN

Didn't know he had private backing though. That may help although I'd bet he's taken on some cheap debt funding at some point over last two years...

We shall see.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!