• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ottawa Chinese

sushi boy

Check out May's Garden Restaurant on Somerset. My friend, who is originally from Fujian province tells me the food is very much like home. He also likes Lichee View restaurant on Merivale road.

You might also look on chowhounds or ottawafoodies for other ideas.

My wife is chinese and find Ottawa a bit depressing.

Yang Tse has a new chinese only menu with a few interesting takes on sichuan dishes (in case you like spicy food). I am not sure they will keep everything on that menu as I believe they are simply testing the market. They constantly asked for our opinion about the few dishes we ordered from that menu last time we went there.

Northern Han on Sommerset is not bad if you like dumplings and noodles. They also have some very nice dishes there but it is best to go there with someone who can read chinese as most of these dishes are only advertised in chinese.

There is also a small take out shop in front of 168 (the big grocery store further down on Sommerset). They only speak mandarin but you can generaly order steam buns, pig ears, goose necks and the like by pointing. They also sell very decent homemade frozen dumplings.

The whole chinese community in Ottawa is waiting for the opening of a T&T supermarket in the South of the city. If it is anything like the other T&T in Canada, they should have decent take out offerings and "better" chinese restaurants might open in the area.

May Garden, also on Sommerset, is a good choice although you have to chose your dishes carefully since they do sell eggrolls (as almost any chinese restaurants in Ottawa). My wife used to bring her mandarin students there.

Let us know if you find anything else.

Magictofu, just wondering what you think of Yangtze. I am looking for a dim sum recommendation for a Sunday brunch.

Also, since I do not read Chinese, would you not recommend Northern Han ?

I have some time -- I won't be in ottawa until January!

Thanks,

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Like others, I too would recommend May's Garden. But chinese cuisine can be quite varied, and May's specializes in northern dishes, which it does very well.

If you are looking for Cantonese cuisine, I would recommend Jo Moon Ting. It's classically cantonese. The menu itself is quite varied because you will find lunch-type offerings like rice and bbq'd meats - chicken, duck, pork - the classics. You'll also find other lunch offerings such as congee/jook and fried noodles.

But their dinner menu is also quite nice and the dishes coming out of the kitchen will more than rival greasy spoon Chu Sing.

Chu Sing is fine in a pinch, but that's only because the selection is somewhat limited around Ottawa.

I also like the fact that they offer their own ground black sesame soup dessert and sweet ginger milk. Nice touch.

So as far as Chinese is concerned, for northern, go May's; for cantonese go Jo Moon Ting.

Oh and if you want dim sum, well, the selection is somewhat limited. For sheer volume, go to Chu Sing. Can't say much more than that.

And since I'm on a roll, if you're looking for other Asian - for Thai go to Phenom Penh in Kanata. It's a bit of a drive if you're going from downtown, but they can make it quite spicy. But you have to be careful what to choose on their extensive menu because some of the items are very much catered to the Cdn palate. Another one that is more central is Siam Bistro on Wellington. I wouldn't vouch for any other ones.

Edited by cwyc (log)

Magictofu, just wondering what you think of Yangtze. I am looking for a dim sum recommendation for a Sunday brunch.

Also, since I do not read Chinese, would you not recommend Northern Han ?

I have some time -- I won't be in ottawa until January!

Thanks,

Jan

Dim Sums in Ottawa are rarely exceptional but Yangtze is not a bad choice for the city. Jadeland is cheaper and can be alright too. In both cases, you will get the usual heavy stuff... we always order vegetables with dim sums.

I would recommend Northern Han even if you can't read chinese. If you feel more adventurous, you can always ask for help. Northern Han specialize themselves in doughy food: noodles, dumplings, pancakes... They do have very nice vegetable and meat dishes but many are only advertized in mandarin. If you like offals such as liver, kidney, tripes or blood pudding or spicy food, they do have some very interesting dishes but they might avoid mention them to you, be persistent and let them know that someone mentionned thes dishes to you. Keep in mind however that everything there would be described as very rustic if it was European cuisine... you will not find fancy presentations or a nice decor.

Yes. As someone who grew up in Vancouver, where most Chinese ingredients are common place in all supermarkets, I too am anxiously awaiting the opening of the T&T Supermarket.

The whole chinese community in Ottawa is waiting for the opening of a T&T supermarket in the South of the city. If it is anything like the other T&T in Canada, they should have decent take out offerings and "better" chinese restaurants might open in the area.

My Blog - My Dinner Table

• 4 weeks later...

Great Wall on Somerset is pretty good. They offer a good selection of dim sum as well and is the only place I found egg custard tarts that were worth eating.

As someone who has recently moved to Ottawa from Vancouver I'm looking for at least decent Chinese food. I'm not asking for Chinese restaurants like those in Vancouver, but somewhere that is at least decent.

Are the Yangtze and Chu Sing the best I can expect?

Great Wall on Somerset is pretty good. They offer a good selection of dim sum as well and is the only place I found egg custard tarts that were worth eating.

It used to be a nice place to go but it is now closed. I think you'll find a korean restaurant there now.

• 2 months later...

I will be in Ottawa during Chinese New Years ...will there be a celebration? Special restaurant menus or "not to miss restaurants" celebrating???

Thanks,

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

I will be in Ottawa during Chinese New Years ...will there be a celebration? Special restaurant menus or "not to miss restaurants" celebrating???

Thanks,

Jan

I am not aware of anything but it might be more difficult to find a table in some restaurants without a reservation. I'll keep an eye open and will let you know if I see something.

• 2 months later...

I have tried a new restaurant on Somerset called Ju Xiang Yuan and it is distinctively different from the other Chinese restaurants around. It serves the type of spicy cumin lamb kebabs that you can find on many streets in China as well as a number of fairly spicy dishes. If you like organ meat (including stomach and intestines) you won't be disapointed.

The exact location is 641 Somerset, just East of Bronson.

• 1 month later...

Rumour has it that T&T will open in late fall.

Yes. As someone who grew up in Vancouver, where most Chinese ingredients are common place in all supermarkets, I too am anxiously awaiting the opening of the T&T Supermarket.

• 5 months later...

T&T is now open. Ron Eade has a nice piece on his blog.

I went there for groceries and dim sums last weekend. It was so crowded that the experience was far from pleasant. They do have some nice ingredients and ready-made food on the shelves but the place is too far from where I live to be worth the detour (it is just next to the airport).

We will go back in a few months when things quiet down a bit.