• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dying couscous to look like caviar

gfron1

I wasn't trying to make these vegan, in fact, they were served over guinea fowl egg. Hopefully Chris Hennes will post pics from the dinner. I ended up making Swedish Caviar :raz: where I used beet juice and tapioca. And yes, it became glutinous, so I rinsed it with extra rice vinegar which worked nicely. They turned out great so I'll make sure Chris sees this topic - I was too busy to take pics.

I see it :wink: -- here was gfron1's finished creation....

gallery_56799_6196_37297.jpg

Tyler kept trying to insist that they were couscous, and I kept trying to insist that even if that's what Rob said he was going to use, there was no way this was couscous! Glad to hear I was right for once (Tyler was usually better than me at identifying whatever was appearing on our plates).

The hard-core beet lovers at the table thought they were great. While I like beets, apparently not well enough to enjoy this one... (sorry, Rob!). The tapioca was very glutinous, which is not my favorite texture ever, and I don't think I could get past that. The egg on the bottom was tasty, though! :smile:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

No apologies needed - I'm not a fan of beets either so it wasn't my favorite. Like I said, if I were to do it again - and I will - I would completely douse/rinse the pearls in a rice vinegar solution to completely remove the glutinous, gloppiness of it all. I might also consider some sort of oil rinse to slime 'em up a bit - in a good way.

The egg on the bottom was a locally raised guinea fowl egg soft poached.