• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezer party

TAPrice

As we stare down that bastard named Gustav, it's time for our new hurricane tradition: the freezer party!

That's right, large numbers of New Orleaians will be cooking up what ever they can find in the freezer this weekend. No wants a repeat of meat turning to liquid and destroying the frig. So what are you making?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I bought two packages of frozen sweetbreads last weekend. Don't know if I'll have time to cook them, but I'm pretty sure I won't have time to use the multiple quarts of stock I've got in there too, which is depressing.

I will, on the other hand, do my best to prepare the salmon and halibut that a friend brought me from Alaska.

Damnit.

I have a mess of speckled trout, mahi, and shrimp, all caought recently. Most of the remainig stuff is frozen veggies--no worries there. That and a whole bunch of guincale, tasso, and andouille. Think I'm gonna have fish tacos for lunch and shrimp jambalaya for dinner.

I did learn something last time that might be helpful, at least if the power is only out for a couple of days.

Take what's left in your freeze and BAG in really thick trash bags. If it doesn't thaw, so much the better, but, if it does turn into goo, you can just throw the bags away and you won't have a giant mess. Of course, after K, I never even opened up the deep freeze or the ice box. Just wrapped them in duct tape and put them on the curb. Yuck.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

tomorrow, we're having beef tips (omaha steaks), some appetizers that I have left from last month, and a dessert with my beautiful puffpastry that I refuse to let gustav have, made with my ruston peaches I just bought today. I really laid out the veggies today, and cooked the stuff I hadn't frozen yet, made salads etc.

tomorrow we will have a great meal! I'd be excited about it if I wasn't so pissed off. Good luck everyone.

I believe I speak for many of us when I say my thoughts and prayers are with you down there in new Orleans and environs! Hang in there, y'all!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I did learn something last time that might be helpful, at least if the power is only out for a couple of days.

Take what's left in your freeze and BAG in really thick trash bags. If it doesn't thaw, so much the better, but, if it does turn into goo, you can just throw the bags away and you won't have a giant mess. Of course, after K, I never even opened up the deep freeze or the ice box. Just wrapped them in duct tape and put them on the curb. Yuck.

That's a great idea. Thanks.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Prayers for all of my friends in south LA. New Orleans may be in much better shape than forecast, but Lafayette and areas around it will see significant wind damage. I'm watching WWL and KATC. Technology is a wonderful thing. Nice to get some real-time info.

Please be safe. Please be careful.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.