• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gift for friend to take back to Moldova

ImportFood

Hi. My friend is from Moldova (little country near Romania), and he's planning to go back there to visit his family. I was wondering what kind of American alcohol I can buy for him, say in a pint bottle, that his friends back home might like to taste. I am not much of a drinker so I don't know what to choose, but something that says Kentucky or Tennessee on the label would be nice. There is a local liquor store that has a lot of choices (the store in Seattle near Safeco Field on 4th has a big selection and I am going to be near there tomorrow). Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Not sure what might actually be available in Moldova, so I don't know what might be a duplicate to what they already have.

The first thing that sprang to mind was Maker's Mark. (Strangely, Maker's Mark is often the first thing that springs to my mind. "What should we have for dinner?" she says. "Makers' Mark," I say.) The red wax catches peoples attention and it's a nice thing to sip as well. Another possibility, it seems to me, is Buffalo Trace. Picture of a Buffalo right there on the bottle. Very American (and, again, a good drink). Both of those will say Kentucky right on the bottle.

One other option that I'll throw out is Sazerac Rye. It's also a Kentucky product (made at the Buffalo Trace distillery). It has, I believe, a smaller distribution and may be a bit harder to find. Again a nice drink.

I'm sure your friend will appreciate the gesture.

Steve Morgan

[T]he cocktail was originally intended as a brief drink, a quick aperitif to stimulate appetite and stiffen the flagging gustatory senses, but it has passed into accustomed usage as a drink to be absorbed in considerable quantity despite the admonitions of the judicious. -- Lucius Beebe

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a great example of what American whiskey is capable of. It's also available in 375ml sizes. I know that Wild Turkey exports it, but I'm not sure if it is available in Moldova.

Edited by mbanu (log)