• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Challenge shows

JeanneCake

Managed to see the Big Bash catering "challenge" over the weekend, and wondered whether anyone else saw it.

I thought the judging was inconsistent - to tell one company their appetizers were not too creative but then to have them go on to place second by a hair's breadth seemed not to add up so maybe that was more the editing than anything else. Personally I liked Giada's Big Bash show much more than this kind of challenge - I liked seeing how an established company made a big event happen.

Did anyone else see it? What did you think?

I like the pastry and sugar shows as well, but as they do more and more of them, I wish they could find a broader pool of contestants. The same people seem to keep competing. Is there not one else qualified or are they too busy to take the time to do it?

I'll have to raise my hand as well and admit to watching these challenge shows.

I do enjoy the ones that feature the world pastry competitions and I do like to watch the cake decorators have a go at it. But it seems that lately they are grasping for concepts to draw us in .

Just last week the challenge was Ice cream, and in some of the individual challenges ( I think there were 3 per this episode) the contestants could use premade ice cream. I'm guessing that the contestants had to make it ahead of time (as opposed to a bought, premade) On this particular challenge was a former Top Chef contestant, Marisa Churchill.

This weeks Big Bash Catering challenge had another TP also ran, Suyai Steinhauer.

Is any one else sensing a theme??? :blink:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett