• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halve an ingredient/recipe

DonnaMarieNJ

That's a rude recipe. What size package is it suggesting? Is the quantity of the package in weight or in volume?

Do you have a kitchen scale that you can use to measure out the total, then reweigh to get half?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Is the package on the box of gelatin? If so, you can assume that it refers to the package in the box. If not, you still need some sort of context - I think - unless Knox gelatin is the default in the USA and the packages are all the same, the way yeast packets seem to be.

1/2 Tbsp +1/2 tsp = 2 tsp, by the way.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thank you, everyone.

I really appreciate your input.

The recipe is not on the gelatin box - it is from a very old issue of Gourmet. I've made it before, and it makes way too much mousse for one person, so rather than waste it, I decided to try halving the recipe. The gelatin is the only part that I didn't know how to halve successfully. I do not want to ruin the recipe.