• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Powdered glucose in confections?

digigirl

While looking to stock up my pantry for chocolate and confection making, I have been comparison shopping at various online sources. I keep running across powdered or atomized glucose, which is significantly cheaper than glucose syrup.

Can powdered glucose be used when a recipe calls for glucose syrup (as in Peter Greweling's Chocolates & Confections book)? And if so, how?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

No, you'll need glucose syrup; though you can substitute Corn Syrup more or less 1:1.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks John. I did know I could use corn syrup, but I kept seeing the powdered glucose and thought that would be convenient if it could be used.

Now I know! Thanks!

Valerie

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

glucose, glucose syrup, and high fructose corn syrup are not the same thing.

Chef Greweling has gone through extensive research to make his proportions exactly as he wants them so if you change something, it doesn't mean it won't work, but it does mean it will definitely not be the same.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Chef Greweling has gone through extensive research to make his proportions exactly as he wants them so if you change something, it doesn't mean it won't work, but it does mean it will definitely not be the same.

Agreed and understood. I just got my hands on some glucose syrup yesterday, so I can go forward with full compliance to the recipes.

I did the Dark & Stormies with corn syrup instead of glucose syrup and they came out well, but I would rather use the correct ingredient. So I'm happy I got some.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info!

Valerie

Agreed and understood. I just got my hands on some glucose syrup yesterday, so I can go forward with full compliance to the recipes.

I did the Dark & Stormies with corn syrup instead of glucose syrup and they came out well, but I would rather use the correct ingredient. So I'm happy I got some.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info!

Valerie

Grocery store corn syrup is simply glucose with a little additional water and often some vanilla flavour - so if you are ever stuck - they are pretty well interchangable.

Grocery store corn syrup is simply glucose with a little additional water and often some vanilla flavour - so if you are ever stuck - they are pretty well interchangable.

At least here in the US, grocery store corn syrup also contains high-fructose corn syrup, which is - as someone mentioned above - sweeter than regular glucose.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

At least here in the US, grocery store corn syrup also contains high-fructose corn syrup, which is - as someone mentioned above - sweeter than regular glucose.

When I bought some corn syrup recently, I specifically checked the ingredients on a couple of them. The store brand (Wal-Mart) did include high fructose corn syrup, but the Karo brand did not list it in the ingredients, just corn syrup, salt and vanilla. So I bought that.

When I went to their website just now, though, it does show high fructose corn syrup. So I don't know if they've recently changed their formulation and the bottle was updated but not yet the website, or if they are allowed to not list the high-fructose part on the label.

When I bought some corn syrup recently, I specifically checked the ingredients on a couple of them. The store brand (Wal-Mart) did include high fructose corn syrup, but the Karo brand did not list it in the ingredients, just corn syrup, salt and vanilla. So I bought that.

When I went to their website just now, though, it does show high fructose corn syrup. So I don't know if they've recently changed their formulation and the bottle was updated but not yet the website, or if they are allowed to not list the high-fructose part on the label.

As with any recipe, you will probably adjust it to suit your taste. In my opinion, the glucose/corn syrup question is greatly overshadowed by your choice of chocolate (percentage and brand) and cream.

I believe that corn syrup will have more water so this will have a detrimental impact on shelf life, if that's important to you.

By the way, glucose isn't always neutral in flavor. I got a brand once, don't remember which, that had a pronounced flavor. I was unable to use the pail it was so strong. Found out that it was wheat based rather than corn. Corn is fairly neutral and perfect for making chocolates.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

As with any recipe, you will probably adjust it to suit your taste.  In my opinion, the glucose/corn syrup question is greatly overshadowed by your choice of chocolate (percentage and brand) and cream. 

I believe that corn syrup will have more water so this will have a detrimental impact on shelf life, if that's important to you.

By the way, glucose isn't always neutral in flavor.  I got a brand once, don't remember which, that had a pronounced flavor.  I was unable to use the pail it was so strong.  Found out that it was wheat based rather than corn.  Corn is fairly neutral and perfect for making chocolates.

I used Callebaut white for the ganache and Guittard 61% for enrobing. The cream was just the regular grocery store brand of cream. Do you find different brands of cream taste significantly different? I'll admit I haven't done any comparison shopping in that area.

The glucose I got is corn syrup, so hopefully will work out well and be neutral flavored. Water activity isn't important right now as I am just learning. Later it may become more so.

I just ordered some Felchlin Maracaibo Clasificado 65%, some Guittard Ornico 41% and some Weiss White Nevea 29% to experiment with while I'm learning the techniques of fine chocolate making. When I get better at it (and stop wasting so much chocolate), I'll get some Valrhona, maybe some Michel Cluizel to try!

It's funny - I brought the Dark & Stormies into work to help spread the calories around and people are either afraid to try it (ooh, ginger & rum = scary and different) or they are going "Wow! When are you starting your own chocolate shop?"

Which is so funny because this is literally my first attempt at hand dipping and it shows. It looks like my enrobing chocolate lost its temper on the last few pieces and they show streaks, all of them have major feet and puddles, and the little fork marks on the top are a mess! It's sad that so many people don't even know what a good chocolate should look like!

Hopefully soon I'll be able to show them. :wink:

I am sorry to be argumentative but I have never heard of corn syrup having water added to it. As I always knew it to be glucose syrup that had its sugar chains broken down farther than the product labeled glucose syrup and then a percentage of high fructose corn syrup added into it.

As far as I know, the ingredients for KaroLight syrup is corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and vanilla.

If you have documentation of where and how water is added to the corn syrup you buy at your grocery store I would love to read it. I would find it very interesting, because I have never heard that before.

thank you.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Also want to add that you will more than likely have a wheat based product if you buy glucose syrup, especially if it is french.

I have corn based glucose syrup, not quite sure why you would think it was french.

I am sorry to be argumentative but I have never heard of corn syrup having water added to it.  As I always knew it to be glucose syrup that had its sugar chains broken down farther than the product labeled glucose syrup and then a percentage of high fructose corn syrup added into it.

As far as I know, the ingredients for KaroLight syrup is corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and vanilla.

If you have documentation of where and how water is added to the corn syrup you buy at your grocery store I would love to read it.  I would find it very interesting, because I have never heard that before.

thank you.

My documentation for where and how water is added is the ingredient label on the back of the bottle.

Ingredients: Light corn syrup, water, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla.

For comparison purposes, the ingredient list on my glucose syrup:

Ingredients: Corn Syrup

Most glucose syrup in the US is going to be corn syrup - corn is plentiful and cheap. European glucose is - as you say below - more like to be from another grain like wheat.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I am sorry to be argumentative but I have never heard of corn syrup having water added to it.  As I always knew it to be glucose syrup that had its sugar chains broken down farther than the product labeled glucose syrup and then a percentage of high fructose corn syrup added into it.

If you have documentation of where and how water is added to the corn syrup you buy at your grocery store I would love to read it.  I would find it very interesting, because I have never heard that before.

thank you.

Perhaps added water is not the correct way to state it, less water is evaporated from the syrup that is purchased in the store than the lower DE product that is sold for confectionery.

The process starts by suspending corn starch in water, then hydrolysing it with enzymes to various degrees depending on the DE of the product that is desired. Water is evaporated off to the degree required for the product being made.

Karo and other store bought corn syrup is considerably less viscous than the glucose I get in 60 lb buckets - and that's due to the extra water it contains. (but I'll give you the not added!)

thank you.

Oh, that's ok... some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

Looks like Kerry and Tammy have already answered more thoroughly (and graciously) than I would have.

John DePaula
--------------------

So, if anybody is still checking out this thread...

Now that I've gotten a chance to work with the glucose syrup...

Is there some kind of trick to it? This stuff is THICK! Is there some easy way to measure it out, get it off the spoon? I had a very hard time with it. Should it be heated before trying to dispense it? Surely there must be a better way than dirtying 3 spoons and having my scale turn itself off while I'm struggling to get the syrup to come off the spoon!

So, if anybody is still checking out this thread...

Now that I've gotten a chance to work with the glucose syrup...

Is there some kind of trick to it?  This stuff is THICK!  Is there some easy way to measure it out, get it off the spoon?  I had a very hard time with it.  Should it be heated before trying to dispense it?  Surely there must be a better way than dirtying 3 spoons and having my scale turn itself off while I'm struggling to get the syrup to come off the spoon!

I use two spoons: grab as much as I can with one and twirl it around until it stops threading, then I move over to my bowl and scrape it off using the other spoon. It's pretty quick and doesn't waste very much. I suppose your results could vary depending how warm/cold your work environment is.

John DePaula
--------------------

I use cold wet hands to remove from a 1 litre container. I also use a wider mouthed funnel to fill a old corn syrup container that I can squeeze smaller amounts from.

Thanks guys. I'll give those a try.

I suggest that you measure it into a metal bowl that you can heat up over a flame quickly and then add into the recipe when needed.

But then aren't you adding warm glucose, when you might not want to add extra heat to your mixture?