• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

I like Rachel's suggestion that we do any meeting-and-greeting early, and really start the meal right at 7:30. Suvir, please let us know when we might start to collect.

Speaking of collecting, How is that normally done? I very often cover the check-in/$ collection table at professional events, and I used to run a box office, so if no one else cares to do it, I can. Even have my little metal strongbox. :wink:

As to seating: I would rather not have to pick up and move in the middle of the meal -- takes so much time. Where I sit and with whom doesn't much matter to me. Suggestion: we could number the tables, and when you check in you pick a number out of a hat, so to speak. Then it's just up to the people all at the same table to arrange themselves.

Suggestion: we could number the tables, and when you check in you pick a number out of a hat, so to speak.  Then it's just up to the people all at the same table to arrange themselves.

not gunna happen.

sorry, but at the end of the day, there are people who feel strongly about sitting with like-minded people. complete randomness is not an option. however, these things have a way of working themselves out.

If the restaurant can't accomodate us before 7.30 there's no reason why those of us with a pathological thirst (me and Tommy) can't meet in a bar. Then I can confirm that I really don't want to sit anywhere near him.

you're a smart effer.

i can suggest the bar at heartbeat, which is 2 blocks up. there's also "an american place," which is on lex at about 50 in some hotel restaurant. or the W bar (horrible meat market, horrible wine), connected to heartbeat, on 51st and lex or so. lots of options actually.

Okay, gang - here it is, the long-awaited BOOZE TALLY:

Nina & beau - white wine and a dessert wine

Toby - dessert wine

Laura - white wine

KimWB - beer

CathyL - white wine

rstarobi - beer

Charles Smith - white wine

Yvonne Johnson - beer and whisky

BklynEats - beer

Rosie - red wine

Damian - white wine

Sandra Levine - hard cider

DoubleO - white wine

MHesse - port

So far that's 6 botles of white wine, 1 bottle of red wine, 2 dessert wines, a port, a whisky, a hard cider, and 4 people bringing beer. I think we need more wine/beer - only 15 people have said what they're bringing - so let's hear from the rest of you...

So far that's 6 botles of white wine, 1 bottle of red wine,  2 dessert wines, a port, a whisky, a hard cider, and 4 people bringing beer.  I think we need more wine/beer - only 15 people have said what they're bringing - so let's hear from the rest of you...

Nina,

What would you want me to bring? :wink:

If the restaurant can't accomodate us before 7.30 there's no reason why those of us with a pathological thirst (me and Tommy) can't meet in a bar. Then I can confirm that I really don't want to sit anywhere near him.

you're a smart effer.

i can suggest the bar at heartbeat, which is 2 blocks up. there's also "an american place," which is on lex at about 50 in some hotel restaurant. or the W bar (horrible meat market, horrible wine), connected to heartbeat, on 51st and lex or so. lots of options actually.

Would coming there at 6:30 be good for most who want to show up early? I could make a suggestion... the owner and chef are very kind to me... If it is something that would make some of you more happy than you would be otherwise, I can push for that. :smile:

suvir, we should probably forget about the 6.30 idea.  perhaps a little before 7.30 would be preferable.  anyone wanting to meet for a drink beforehand should make that thought known here and we'll arrange a meeting place outside of the restaurant. clearly i'll be *somewhere*.

Clearly you are a trouble maker. :wink:

I have left a voice mail for the owner already. Will let you know what they say.

I must have missed the part about Nina organizing the liquor. In previous events I've organized, we just ask that everyone bring something they'd like to drink and share, it always seem to work out without having to declare yourself ahead of time. Anyway... we'll probably bring some white wine & beer.

Suvir - I think 7 PM is plenty early for the meet & greet. The main idea is to just get everyone there and ready to sit down by 7:30. If we just say 7:30 there are sure to be several latecomers.

I must have missed the part about Nina organizing the liquor. In previous events I've organized, we just ask that everyone bring something they'd like to drink and share, it always seem to work out without having to declare yourself ahead of time. Anyway... we'll probably bring some white wine & beer.

Suvir - I think 7 PM is plenty early for the meet & greet. The main idea is to just get everyone there and ready to sit down by 7:30. If we just say 7:30 there are sure to be several latecomers.

Rachel, the point was to make sure we had enough, enough variety, and not insanely too much booze. Nobody's assigning anything or telling people what to bring. It's just so people can fill in holes, or not bring too much.

re: collecting money. It is better to do this at the beginning of the evening. The way I've done it in the past is to collect the money and give back a nametag. Since someone (Yvonne?) is planning on pre-printing nametags this seems like an ideal way to proceed that evening as well. I think Suzanne volunteered to collect the money above? All in favor, ignore this post. :wacko: