• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

Here is the list as it stands now. I have grouped together those who are related, even if they joined the list at different times.

1. rstarobi

2. BklynEats

3. Charles Smith

4. Macrosan

5. Yvonne Johnson

6. g. Johnson

7. Suzanne F

8. FG

9. Sandra Levine

10. Alan Levine (with Sandra Levine)

11. CathyL

12. Double 0

13. Mrs. 00

14. Tommy

15. Toby

16. Blondie

17. KimWB

18. StephanyB

19. ajay

20. Damian

21. Ann (with Damian)

22. Nina Wugmeister

23. Nina’s beau

24. MHesse

25. CooksQuest

26. Diana (with CooksQuest)

27. Cakewalk (Veg)

28. Laura

29. Jason Perlow

30. Rachel Perlow

31. Rosie

32. Lowell (with Rosie)

33. Bara Sapir (with Rosie)

34. Matt Zito (Veg)

35. jordyn

36. nervousnelli

37. roryrabbitfield

38. Daniel (with roryrabbitfield)

39. jaybee

40. tigerwoman

41. anonymous #1

42. anonymous #2

43. froggy

44. Suvir Saran

45. Guest #1 of Suvir

46. Guest #2 of Suvir

Thanks Suzanne! :smile:

So we are now at 46... and that is perfect.  We may now end up getting the main dining section that seats exactly 46. :wink:

which main dining section? you mean they'll close half of the restaurant for little ol us? who am i going to have to sit next to or with. i'm very particular. are these small tables of 4 and 6? oh dear. :blink:

Thanks Suzanne! :smile:

So we are now at 46... and that is perfect.  We may now end up getting the main dining section that seats exactly 46. :wink:

which main dining section? you mean they'll close half of the restaurant for little ol us? who am i going to have to sit next to or with. i'm very particular. are these small tables of 4 and 6? oh dear. :blink:

They will close their main dining section for us.

It is made up of booths that can seat upto 7 comfortably... and then a few 4 tops.

You Tommy will have to sit with the host. You will be the eGullet mascot for the night.... Charming and quiet. :smile:

The space they are offering us is big.... We will have a lot of space.. and a lot of food.. Maybe we can even play musical chairs... Since the courses will be plated....An option to think about... If we want to circulate that is. :wink:

May I deem it safe to add Eggs into the menu for vegetarians? 

Is there anyone a vegan in our mix?

I am assuming the vegetarians can eat eggs and dairy as well.  Is that safe to assume?

Please do let me know.

PS: I did not want this to get lost in the previous page.. Hence I have quoted myself again. :smile:

re: circulating

How does the group feel about this as an approach to circulating?

Using birthdates, number of children, a variety of innocuous (sp?) criteria, each person rotates either left or right to another table after each course.

I've done school functions and charity events where it works quite well.

For example, after the first course, the person with the next upcoming birthday rotates to the table to the right. Next course, the person with the oldest child moves left. Then the person with the most pets goes right..it doesn't assure that Everyone meets everyone, but it does mix it up a bit. Sometimes people don't want to move, but usually there is a good sport at the same table that will move, or just skip that table.

Just an idea, but its reasonably democratic and if the objective is to meet people in addition to have a wonderful feast, it does accomplish this with a friendly type of minimal intrusion. Sophmoric, perhaps, but effective.

It also works if you number the chairs, but that takes a little more prep work.

re: circulating

How does the group feel about this as an approach to circulating?

Using birthdates, number of children, a variety of innocuous (sp?) criteria, each person rotates either left or right to another table after each course.

I've done school functions and charity events where it works quite well.

For example, after the first course, the person with the next upcoming birthday rotates to the table to the right. Next course, the person with the oldest child moves left. Then the person with the most pets goes right..it doesn't assure that Everyone meets everyone, but it does mix it up a bit.  Sometimes people don't want to move, but usually there is a good sport at the same table that will move, or just skip that table.

Just an idea, but its reasonably democratic and if the objective is to meet people in addition to have a wonderful feast, it does accomplish this with a friendly type of minimal intrusion.  Sophmoric, perhaps, but effective.

It also works if you number the chairs,  but  that takes a little more prep work.

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

several experts on circulation have PM'd me and the consensus is that people will mingle when they first get there, decide who they like enough to actually each with, and then circulate towards the end, as a natural progression. there's nothing worse than being forced into conversation with a group of people half-way through a meal.

:laugh:

several experts on circulation have PM'd me and the consensus is that people will mingle when they first get there, decide who they like enough to actually each with, and then circulate towards the end, as a natural progression.  there's nothing worse than being forced into conversation with a group of people half-way through a meal.

:laugh:

ok by me..though why people felt obligated to PM you instead of just posting it, I can't imagine. It works with some crowds, particularly when no one knows each other, ...but in this case, since there are a few people whom are already friends and have dined together before, it might be best to let nature takes its course.

Suvir, any possibility of doing some of the appetizers as hors d'oevre, so we can have a mingling/cocktail hour kind of thing for the first 1/2 hour or so? I thought it best to mention this idea now, as I know you are planning on working on the menu this weekend.

Let's bear in mind that it's a weeknight, and we're not even arriving until 7:30...

No, I didn't mean that 7:30 was too late. I think 7:30 is good - lots of people can' get out of work so early. I just didn't think that if we added a cocktail hour, and then only just started to sit down, it would be a good idea in terms of trying to get done at a reasonable hour.

if we are really getting that entire room (which is lovely), perhas some can show up earlier for a "cocktail" hour. i think those are the best settings to meet people by far. i already know about 18 people who will be there, but there are 18 that i don't know, and i'd like to meet them rather than not.

a show of hands will be difficult, but, you know, what says you all?

Why don't we plan on sitting down and starting the meal by 7:30. That way, those that can/want to arrive a little early to mingle and we can start opening our BYO wines & beer and maybe there will be some nibbles or not, depending on Suvir's menu. Since it is a weeknight and these things do have a tendancy to go on till late, we can at least know when to start, regardless of anyone's late arrival. In other words, if you're late you may miss a course or two, cause we're commencing the meal at 7:30 on the dot. :wink:

Why don't we start the meal while standing up, promptly at seven o'clock. Eat the first two courses while moving around the room meeting people. Then for the other courses, alternate between sitting boy-girl-boy-girl and all men/all women tables. I think if we eat like jackals we could be done by eight thirty.

Oh, shoot, I'm not coming, am I? :unsure:

rachel, that's he idea we're hoping for i think. we just need clarification from suvir that we can get there earlier (that is, start occupying the room), if they're be any nibbles or something (not necessary), and if anyone besides me and the beau will actually *be* there at 7. :blink:

I think it would be wrong to expect the restaurant to free up way too early for us. If we get there by 7:30.. they can at least try and get one seating before we get there to take over the main room.... Would that not be fair to them? I shall ask the owner and chef today..

Maybe we can come (those of us that can) as early as 7 PM and then sit down at 7:30.

But I am making no promises.