• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

Its Diwan Grill? There aren't two Diwans, are there?

Years ago I used to go to a place in Port Washington, LI called Diwan.  Any connection?  The owner was Bobby something and he was a great guy.  We really liked the food, at least from the limited knowledge I had back then.

Diwan in Port Washington (no longer in biz) was owned by the current owners of Diwan in Manhattan, yes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That may be the most positive review Eric Asimov has written since he took over (or whatever) for Grimes. I'm certain Diwan owes at least one of those two stars to the 'charred, smoky tomato chutney.'

Thanks so much for organizing this, Suvir. Oh, and a bow to our Official Booze Coordinator as well. :biggrin:

Wow. This is going to be a blast. Mr. Rabbitfield (Daniel) and I are looking forward to this so much. I'm really excited to have found a group of people who are more food-obsessed than me; makes me feel less pathological.

Rory Rabbit,

Does your goldfish Lefty get lonely? Did Righty die?

Nina,

My section of the booze is probably going to be either a few German Wheat beers, or a few Belgian Lambics (maybe fruited).

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

The restaurant will seat 40 as a favor. We OWE them BIG time....

The food is amazing. I cooked with the chef again this evening. There were tables there that had cancelled reservations at Tamarind and Bukhara to get there.. and some were calling in to do the same... How much power the NY Times review carries.. and how easily some are swayed.

Diwan Grill used to be in this same location. Diwan is the new name. Hemant is one of the greatest men I know.. and a wiz at the Tandoor... and a friend unlike any I have. What more could I say... Or shall I say.

Suzanne, may I trouble you for a new list of attendees? And a new wait list? That would be great...

And yes the Asimov review was as sweet as a review gets. Lucky for the restaurant.. But all I can add is that it was well deserved. And the few things that Mr. Asimov pointed out as being not as special as the food were true facts.. and this restaurant could well have gotten another star if they were as carefully decorated as other 3 star restaurants and also if they took care to have a fine wine list, a beer program and good graphics. I also think better china and glassware would elevate the experience to a level no other restaurant serving Indian food has.

With this review, Mr. Asimov has certainly provided an amazing opportunity for Indian restaurateurs to renew their pledge to their trade and livelihood. He has given them a path on which they should be quick to move and in doing so find new success and meaning. They have been given in that review a direction that they ought to understand, embrace and carry forth substantially and in entirety. If they can do so, they can take the world of Indian food into the next logical step, restaurants serving Indian food that earn 3 and 4 stars. It is possible, and Hemant will always be remembered as the first chef to have broken from the old school and tried what was risky, but done so with great respect for the past. He did not simply play with those momentary moments of success that one can find with fusion and hip trends, but he lost himself in first playing with fusion, and then going back to his past, and he has put forth for all to enjoy a menu that is at once new and yet as old as a civilization. And Mr. Asimov showed an acute sensitivity to having understood the pulse of a movement that is happening, but was faint till today, and hopefully will become bold henceforth.

It was a great review for a restaurant and chef that certainly deserve it. And now we have so much more to look forward to.

Its Diwan Grill? There aren't two Diwans, are there?

Years ago I used to go to a place in Port Washington, LI called Diwan.  Any connection?  The owner was Bobby something and he was a great guy.  We really liked the food, at least from the limited knowledge I had back then.

Diwan in Port Washington (no longer in biz) was owned by the current owners of Diwan in Manhattan, yes.

Thanks Jay. I think its pretty funny, my past catching up to me :laugh: I think the 48th street one was Diwan before it was Diwan Grill and then Diwan again. :wacko:

Anyway, I'm looking forward with great pleasure to this eGullet Maxi Event.

The Lucky Gang of 40

rstarobi

BklynEats

Charles Smith

Macrosan

Yvonne Johnson + g. johnson

Suzanne F +PDE

Fat Guy

Sandra Levine

CathyL

Double 0 and Mrs. 00

Tommy

Toby

Blondie

KimWB

StephanyB

Helena Sarin + Alex

ajay

Damian + Ann

Nina Wugmeister + her beau

MHesse

CooksQuest (Gary) + Diana

Cakewalk (V)

Laura

Jason + Rachel Perlow

Rosie + consort

Matt Zito (V)

jordyn

Bara Sapir (Rosie)

nervousnelli

AlanLevine (SandraL)

roryrabbitfield

THE WAITLIST

Mr. Daniel Rabbit Bernstein-Kerber

jaybee

which brings the total to 42, since no one has yet dropped out.

Rory Rabbit,

Does your goldfish Lefty get lonely?  Did Righty die?

Actually, all the goldfish are dead (all 2 of them). I had various Panchos and Leftys over the years, giving replacement fish the same name as the one that had passed. There never was a righty. I get so many questions about my fish that I really should start a new tank. I once even got an irate email from somone who felt that the bowl was too small to hold a goldfish (not true!) Their names come from a song I like by Townes Van Zandt called "Pancho and Lefty".

Rory Bernstein Kerber

www.RoryKerber.com

Hi All,

This event sounds better and better every time I check in. I will bring some interesting beer for my BYOB contribution. $45 sounds like a fair price for such a special meal.

To summarize the whole picture (please pipe up if I've got something wrong):

We're on for Wednesday, November 20, at 7:30 p.m. at Diwan (148 East 48th Street). Phone: 212-593-5425. Cost: $45 each (includes lassi drink and soda). Exact change in cash appreciated. BYOB for alcholic drinks (Nina is organizing wine/beer contributions). We'll be 40 people, and there is a wait list for people beyond that.

Hope I got all that right; seemed like a good thing to do. :smile:

Rory Bernstein Kerber

www.RoryKerber.com

The price will be $50 per person, including tax and tip, and softdrinks.

There is a cash bar available if you would like anything stronger to drink. I would suggest everyone keep individual tabs for that.  This would save any hassles at the end.

From an earlier point in the thread

We're on for Wednesday, November 20, at 7:30 p.m. at Diwan (148 East 48th Street). Phone: 212-593-5425. Cost: $50 each (includes one glass of lassi per person and sodas). Exact change in cash appreciated. BYOB for alcholic drinks (Nina is organizing wine/beer contributions). We'll be 40 people, and there is a wait list for people beyond that.

(Thanks roryrabditfield for giving me the text, I have only edited and made changes)