• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

this all sounds too brilliant to be true.  i get to meet suvir and all of these wonderful people and have what sounds like the best indian meal of my life, all in one night for 35 bucks?  i think suvir is pullin our collective eLeg.

Yeah, Tommy, but I'll be there too.

There's always a price to pay...

this all sounds too brilliant to be true.  i get to meet suvir and all of these wonderful people and have what sounds like the best indian meal of my life, all in one night for 35 bucks?  i think suvir is pullin our collective eLeg.

Sorry Tommy but it is $45.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Had dinner with some friends at the restaurant in question last night. We were trying dishes to work out the menu for November 20th. After consulting with the chef, we have developed a menu that all should enjoy. The price will be $50 per person, including tax and tip, and softdrinks.

There is a cash bar available if you would like anything stronger to drink. I would suggest everyone keep individual tabs for that. This would save any hassles at the end. I'm sorry for keeping the restaurant a mystery for now, the reason will be obvious very soon.

Suvir - you are too kind. :blush:

Yes, Jason and I were among the friends who had dinner with Suvir last night at the restaurant-which-shall-remain-nameless-for-now. We had a wide variety of dishes and one after the other was fabulous. They have some unsual tandoori offerings, and even a simple mixed vegetable curry was better than any other I've ever had. I'm sure after the dinner, you will all agree that it is not only worth every penny, but is a bargain at $50 per person. I got to sample Suvir's tomato chutney too, it is very delicious.

I also discovered that the family who owns the restaurant also owns the one near where we lived several years ago and we enjoyed that restaurant frequently.

edit: cause I wanted to add some comments

Any and all alcoholic beverage should be either brought by you, or purchased from the cash bar yourself, individually.

The restaurant will be gracious enough to let us do that (BYOB without charging a fee). Please bring really chilled beer so it can stay cold for the duration. I am sure we can have enough pedestal wine coolers to get away with. I would hate to trouble the restaurant too much. Since we will not be paying corkage.

I think this will be a memorable evening.. And for good reasons. The food is spectacular. The price is fair or a bargain in my humble opinion.. And the tastes haunting. Even old classics are prepared with care. And there are new and exciting things that will make you happy you RSVP'd in time.

As I said before... you shall all know the name and address by early November (first week).

But we will do our best to announce sooner.. Maybe by the end of the month ( At least we can try).

Thanks for your patience... The mystery is well worth it.

I thank you all for being patient and kind. Much appreciated. :smile:

jesus man, when can we expect an "official" egullet ™ announcement?!? :wacko:

You mean eGullet™ perhaps?

:huh:

Where is SuzanneF the Principal when we need her most??? :blink:

Sheesh, I take a little time of from here to do some, ahem, REAL WORK, and look what happens. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Everybody, cool your jets! Squabbling isn't going to make Christmas come any sooner. :sad:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jesus man, when can we expect an "official" egullet ™ announcement?!? :wacko:

You mean eGullet™ perhaps?

:huh:

Where is SuzanneF the Principal when we need her most??? :blink:

Sheesh, I take a little time of from here to do some, ahem, REAL WORK, and look what happens. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Everybody, cool your jets! Squabbling isn't going to make Christmas come any sooner. :sad:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Are there no Holidays before then? :wink:

Are there no Holidays before then?

Let's see, Mexico has the Day of the Dead on November 1st, Revolution Anniversary on November 20th, and also a holiday for the Virgin of Guadalupe on December 12th. Canada has Remembrance Day, 11/11. And there are those happy happy holidays in the USA -- Veterans' Day 11/11 and Pearl Harbor Day 12/7. :smile:

What, did I miss something???? :wink:

Are there no Holidays before then?

Let's see, Mexico has the Day of the Dead on November 1st, Revolution Anniversary on November 20th, and also a holiday for the Virgin of Guadalupe on December 12th. Canada has Remembrance Day, 11/11. And there are those happy happy holidays in the USA -- Veterans' Day 11/11 and Pearl Harbor Day 12/7. :smile:

What, did I miss something???? :wink:

Diwali, Chanukah, Id, etc... etc.... :shock:

Hi. I just joined eGullet today. I can't believe I've lived this long without it. The Indian Food tasting sounds great. Count me in. When/Where? Very exciting.

November 20th at 7:30 PM

Where will be announced very soon.

And yes you can be waitlisted. (Suzanne can we do that please? :smile: )

Shall we prepare a new and complete list? So we can have a final tally? WHat say you Suzanne?:wink: