• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

Looks like we will have loads of alcohol, so I will just bring a six-pack.  Should I stick with the main theme & bring something like Kingfisher?

That would b great... Where do you get Kingfisher?

Well, if I can get back to Brooklyn before dinner, I think my local beer store would have it. Otherwise, I'll just get something that I know people will like.

Folks, just keep posting about the booze you want to bring, and I'll keep a tally and post about what we have in a couple of days, then we'll see where the holes are and about the quantity...

(P.S. My friends who came over last night for Indian food brought a six-pack of Kingfisher. I'll ask where they bought it).

Nina,

I think you can get Kingfisher (or Taj Mahal) at most of the beer specialty stores in Manhattan - I wasn't planning on bringing Indian beer, as most are generic lagers - not too different from American lager. I'm probably going to bring a couple of German or Belgian beers.

B & E Quality Beverage at 511 West 23nd street has a good selection of beers at reasonable price. They'd likely have Kingfisher and Taj Mahal.

NYC Beer.org has an incomplete listing of many NY beer specialty stores.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

I actually have one of the best beer stores in the city 3 blocks from me - Bierkraft. Suvir asked where to get the Kingfisher specifically, so I just asked my friends where they got it.

Incidentally, Bierkraft is one of the best cheese shops around too. Fantastic selection, knowledgeable and friendly staff...worth checking out. It's on 5th Ave. between Union - Berkeley in Park Slope.

http://www.bierkraft.com/pages/656133/index.htm

Nina,

I think you can get Kingfisher (or Taj Mahal) at most of the beer specialty stores in Manhattan - I wasn't planning on bringing Indian beer, as most are generic lagers - not too different from American lager.  I'm probably going to bring a couple of German or Belgian beers.

B & E Quality Beverage at 511 West 23nd street  has a good selection of beers at reasonable price.  They'd likely have Kingfisher and Taj Mahal.

NYC Beer.org has an incomplete listing of many NY beer specialty stores.

I love Belgian beers with Indian food. Some of them are fruity enough to handle it. In fact are better than Indian beers in my book. But what do I know about food and alcohol... :wink:

Maybe others who know more can comment, but I think Indian cuisine is generally appreciated best without alcohol. The problems of Indian food and wine have been noted, but I haven't really enjoyed beer with Indian cuisine, either, especially spicier preparations like vindaloo.

Due to the extreme sweetness of many Indian desserts, I am not even sure dessert wines would be particularly appealing. now don't get me wrong, I like a drink as much as the next guy, I think with this cuisine it's just out of place. I think apertifs and digestifs may still be in order, though.

In my home, we have always drunk water with Indian food. If I was in the mood for something different, I would choose lassi, a drink made out of yoghurt. I think the creaminess adds something to the meal [and yoghurt always helps to put out fires, unlike beer.] Probably the salty lassi would work best, but I have real soft-spot for rose lassi, when high quality rose syrup is available:raz:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one can shoehorn alcohol into an Indian meal, but I fel that it's out of place, and will not enhance the cuisine in any way. But, like I said, I hope for refutation from the experts.

Maybe others who know more can comment, but I think Indian cuisine is generally appreciated best without alcohol.  The problems of Indian food and wine have been noted, but I haven't really enjoyed beer with Indian cuisine, either,  especially spicier preparations like vindaloo. 

Due to the extreme sweetness of many Indian desserts, I am not even sure dessert wines would be particularly appealing.  now don't get me wrong, I like a drink as much as the next guy, I think with this cuisine it's just out of place.  I think apertifs and digestifs may still be in order, though.   

In my home, we have always drunk water with Indian food.  If I was in the mood for something different, I would choose lassi, a drink made out of yoghurt.  I think the creaminess adds something to the meal [and yoghurt always helps to put out fires, unlike beer.]  Probably the salty lassi would work best, but I have real soft-spot for rose lassi, when high quality rose syrup is available:raz:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one can shoehorn alcohol into an Indian meal, but I fel that it's out of place, and will not enhance the cuisine in any way.  But, like I said, I hope for refutation from the experts.

I was at a gathering with some of the best Indian chefs around the world last night. One gentleman was a sommelier that has been quoted by the NY Times and other publications in their quest to pair wines with Indian food.

He was explaining to me how he has found an amazing array of wines that work very well. All it takes in his mind is a thoughtful sommelier and a caring diner.

So, I think with so many of eGullets fine attending this dinner, we should all be ready to be dazzled. I never say never.

And yet, lassi and chilled water are often sating enough for me. But I am always open to learn.....

how are we orchestrating the byo aspect of this dinner?

Nina has volunteered to be coordinator for this task.

yes, i see that. but what is the overall approach?

Don't worry. Somehow I have a feeling you'll manage to get plenty to drink. :blink:

Don't worry.  Somehow I have a feeling you'll manage to get plenty to drink.   :blink:

i'm wondering if there's an overall approach.

What's your concern? If you're concerned that I'm not up to the task of organizing this aspect of the evening, perhaps you'd like to do it?

Don't worry.  Somehow I have a feeling you'll manage to get plenty to drink.   :blink:

i'm wondering if there's an overall approach.

What's your concern? If you're concerned that I'm not up to the task of organizing this aspect of the evening, perhaps you'd like to do it?

i can assure you that your organizational skills are not in question. :wacko: