• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

With the addition of Helena's Alex, and Rachel Perlow, we are now at 35 (except for those who are younger, and those who admit to being older.)

Should you be unable to keep your reservation, we ask that you cancel as soon as possible, so that someone else may take your place. Oh, wait, this is a group of ardent restaurant-goers; I don't have to remind you all of that. :biggrin:

Keep checking this thread for updates. :smile:

Most of my memories of Chaat outings had to do with setting sun over Juhu Beach, or early evenings in Kaliash Colony, or Sunder Nagar.

All of these outings involved standing and eating the chaats. Specially "paani puri" or "goll gappe" t invariably ended with having Kulfi in the winter, or Mango or Rose Lassi in the summer.

If suvir manages to serve "paani puri" or "goll gappe" one-at-a-time, it will be a major success :smile:

I forget who: but someone in this thread mentioned 45USD being tad too much for an Indian, which to me is not surprising for folks who may not have seen some high end places :smile:

anil

Most of my memories of Chaat outings had to do with setting sun over Juhu Beach, or early evenings in Kaliash Colony, or Sunder Nagar.

All of these outings involved standing and eating the chaats. Specially "paani puri" or "goll gappe"  t invariably ended with having Kulfi in the winter, or Mango or Rose Lassi in the summer.

If suvir manages to serve "paani puri" or "goll gappe" one-at-a-time, it will be a major success  :smile:

I forget who: but someone in this thread mentioned 45USD being tad too much for an Indian, which to me is not surprising for folks who may not have seen some high end places  :smile:

I think I need a glossary. :smile:

All of these outings involved standing and eating the chaats. Specially "paani puri" or "goll gappe"  t invariably ended with having Kulfi in the winter, or Mango or Rose Lassi in the summer.

If suvir manages to serve "paani puri" or "goll gappe" one-at-a-time, it will be a major success  :smile:

I forget who: but someone in this thread mentioned 45USD being tad too much for an Indian, which to me is not surprising for folks who may not have seen some high end places  :smile:

Chaat - Hindi word used usually to describe mouth watering preparations of snack type foods.

Juhu Beach - A beach in the northern suburbs of Bombay which was famous for Chaat items sold by hawkers.

Kailash Colony & Sundar Nagar - Neighborhoods of New Delhi. Sundar Nagar has a famous restaurant that serves Chaat type dishes and Indian sweets. I am sure Kailash Colony must have a restaurant that is a local favorite.

Paani Puri/Gol Gappe also called Puchkas - Little deep fried crips balls made with either semolina or all purpose flour. Holes are made in the balls to stuff them with potatoes, chickpeas, spices and tamarind and mint chutney in the north (lentils, sprouts and white peas in the west) and then these stuffed balls are then dipped in a spicy greenish water (paani) and eaten in one go. It is a favorite Chaat dish and people stand on line and the vendor will stuff each one and then give you gol gappas one by one.

Kulfi - Indian ice cream

Mango or Rose Lassi - Lassis are Indian milkshake like drinks made with yogurt and some ice. They can be served sweet or salty. And often mango or rose are added to the yogurt and ice.

Wow, a few days off the boards, and this event really took off!

I will be looking forward to this event. The date,price range and details so far all look great to me.

I prefer beer with strongly flavored foods, so I'll bring a six pack..Nina, should we be checking in with you to confirm what we're bringing..I can always adjust if we're "beer heavy"...

Gak - this filled up much more quickly than I expected. Is there a waiting list? Could I possibly be added to it? FWIW, I'm also a veggie, so should someone be unable to fulfill their duties, I'll be happy to stand up next to Suvir and veg away.

Matt

Matt: you are numero uno on the wait list. So there's still a possibility you'll get in. Here's the complete list as it stands now:

Suvir; rstarobi; BklynEats; Charles Smith; Macrosan; Yvonne Johnson + g. johnson; Suzanne F +PDE; FG; Sandra Levine; CathyL; Double 0 and Mrs. 00; Tommy; Toby; Blondie; KimWB; StephanyB; Helena Sarin + Alex; ajay; Damian + Ann; Nina Wugmeister + her beau; MHesse; CooksQuest (Gary) + Diana; Cakewalk; Laura; Jason + Rachel Perlow; Rosie + consort (35) as of 10/19, 9:10pm

WAIT LIST: Matt Zito 10/21,9:16am

Can we add Matt Zito to the list of confirmed guests and have me not be a part of the list Suzanne?

I will stand and cook and chat as I enjoy with you all. I am sure I will find some place to sit easily...

And we will then have another vegetarian.. how fun. (Makes it cakewalk, Matt Zito and myself).

I think I might have the market cornered on young - but in any case, I'll bring a few beers for the non-wine drinkers out there. Maybe even a bottle of my first batch of homebrew for any masochists. :cool:

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."