• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

I just thought it would be a "learning experience" that way. But you're right. And no matter what we have, it will still be a "learning experience" :biggrin:

Suvir, I was assuming this would be communal, no? -- sharing dishes, that is, rather than individual thali. Including, I hope, the etiquette lesson on how to eat with only the right hand. That could be tough for some of us, but I do not fear laughter and ridicule. :laugh:

I would very much like to sample some meat dishes that Suvir thinks are worthy of note. Speaking for myself, I have generally had better luck with Indian veg. food at restaurants than I have had with meat. That is of course not to say that I'm uninterested in vegetarian dishes as I have been a vegetarian for the better part of my life.

In particular, I was hoping we could have a fish dish. I hear such great things about Indian (especially Bengali) fish preparation, but they are generally not available to the typical diner in an Indian restaurant. So, sampling such a dish under Suvir's guidance would be a special treat for me.

The discussion on the broad outlines of a possible menu for this meal has got me thinking. It seems to me the meal can be planned in either of 4 ways:

1. An exploration of the diversity of the cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. As Suvir constantly reminds us Indian cuisine is staggeringly divergent, and there are endless varieties and flavor combinations [the thread on Indian desserts is an excellent example for those interested]. This meal, then, could become a celebration of that diversity, focusing on dishes that one does not typically find in the majority of Indian restaurants. The fish dishes mentioned on the India board and I allude to above are an example.

2. The other option is a collection of "excellent speciments." Indian cuisine is, in my opinion, especially susceptible to bad preparation and technique. Our discussion of the ideal characteristics of naan, samosas and khandvi, among others (I haven't seen a discussion of biryanni, but I've tasted enough lousy preparations to add this too the list) has gotten me thinkng that perhaps another lesson to be learned is one of experiencing these dishes in closer to their ideal (platonic) forms.

3. Of course, one could always blend options one and two.

4. Suvir has thought about this a lot harder than I, and has already devised an excellent scheme that captures the essence of Indian food, and I should leave him to announce it at the appropriate time. :raz:

edit for grammar.

Please strike me Off the guest list-I'm leaving for Italy that week[looking for culinary relevance].Bon appetit,y'all....

We will miss you, but I am really excited for you. I am sure you will have a lot of fun.. and will come back with great memories and some wonderful food stories to share with us.

There will be more of these.. and you can grace us with your presence then. Have safe travels.

I could arrange everything each of you wants and more.

But please remember, we are at a restaurant that is also open to the larger public at that same time.

We will be only one part of their life that evening.

We can only challenge the kitchen of an open restaurant so much when you work around a group of 15 and more people.

These are all things to consider when thinking of what the meal should be.

I would plan a menu that will include veggie stuff for all, fish, poultry and meat for those that choose to partake in them.. and a glass of Mango Lassi for all.

Would $45.00 inclusive of tax and tips per person be fair? Can we pay cash to make it easier for the restaurant and us?

Would it be ok if some of us are served dishes before others? I think it is a challenge on any kitchen to serve foods to 35 people at the same time. While we could do a buffet that would make it easy for everyone to eat together, I think we could experience better food if we get it plated individually. But again, it is only my humble opinion. Please let me know if you all think otherwise. Buffets are easy to organise.

BYOB is what Fat guy suggested and I think that would work best.

If we were doing this in groups of 8 and smaller, I would have been very confident in saying I would have you all taste the best seafood you can ever find, but with such a large group, I will hope that I can get you fish dishes that are 5-7 on a scale of 1-10 (almost all Indian restaurants serve seafood in the range of 1-5). I am always happier being honest and delivering more than I promise.

For cakewalk and I we will have a totally vegetarian menu.

I hope to give you all an experience of Indian street food, some tawa (griddle) stir fries and some tandoori poultry and meat.

I will work on getting a biryaani and a fish dish that are really special. If I were catering or doing this at home.. I could have provided a great biryaani, but even if I give the recipes I share in my book, I find it hard to believe that any chef that needs to work a large kitchen would readily accept making my tedious but really amazing recipe. But I will try.

What I will arrange for us is an evening where you can sample some great stuff. Dishes that would be at a level much higher than what you can expect getting even at the best Indian restaurant when you visit it on their usual service times. And I will try and make it as regionally diverse as I can orchestrate with the talent of the chefs I work with.

I hope I can make you all happy, it will be my goal.

And for those that want to learn how to eat with their right hands, I will be happy to show you how I do it. But believe me, that is not a necessity to eat many of the foods you will eat that evening.

I'm in.

Suvir I would definitely try to make the meal very veggie-heavy. I have no problem with eating primarily vegetarian dishes and only having a few GOOD meat ones. Theres so much variety with vegetable dishes in indian food that I dont think people would miss the meat.

I think, for many, the main concern is probably the spice level. I personally would like some really spicy ones but most people probably can't handle the heavy duty ones.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Suvir I would definitely try to make the meal very veggie-heavy. I have no problem with eating primarily vegetarian dishes and only having a few GOOD meat ones. Theres so much variety with vegetable dishes in indian food that I dont think people would miss the meat.

Yes the meal will have a good balance between meats and veggies.

I think, for many, the main concern is probably the spice level. I personally would like some really spicy ones but most people probably can't handle the heavy duty ones.

Some dishes will be spicier than others. Some will give each of you the option to spice as you choose.

Others will be more moderate for that is how they ought to be.

Suvir, everything you have suggested so far sounds great -- especially the price! Yes, cash is easier. I certainly won't feel "ignored" if others get served before me. :wink: And I'll be very interested to see what others bring for BYOB. If you can give us suggestions there too, I'd really appreciate it. All I ever think of is beer, but I'm sure there are other possibilities.

My personal preference is NOT buffet, for the reasons you state. Do you know yet if we will have a couple of big oblong tables, or more, smaller round ones? The latter would be better for conversation -- but if we do bigger tables, might we play "musical chairs" at some point (talk to more people :smile: )?

And if I am not happy with the event, it will definitely NOT be your fault. Thank you for all your careful consideration and hard work. :wub:

Ack! Putting together a major conference that week. :unsure:

Oh well, just wait till the next one...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I have no problems with anything - I'm OK for heavy veggie or heavy meat/fish - I also agree that individual service is probably better than a buffet.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Suvir, everything you have suggested so far sounds great -- especially the price!  Yes, cash is easier.  I certainly won't feel "ignored" if others get served before me.  :wink:  And I'll be very interested to see what others bring for BYOB.  If you can give us suggestions there too, I'd really appreciate it.  All I ever think of is beer, but I'm sure there are other possibilities.

My personal preference is NOT buffet, for the reasons you state.  Do you know yet if we will have a couple of big oblong tables, or more, smaller round ones?  The latter would be better for conversation -- but if we do bigger tables, might we play "musical chairs" at some point (talk to more people  :smile: )?

And if I am not happy with the event, it will definitely NOT be your fault.  Thank you for all your careful consideration and hard work.  :wub:

Suzanne, unfortunately the tables are square or rectangular. Musical chairs is best I think. Will make for people to chat with each other. Always best when dealing with that arrangement.

What is the price we have finalized??? It will be tip and tax included. I want to hear it from another person.

Oh my. This one NYC eGullet sanctioned dinner I would definitely like to go but can't. This is my sad face:

sad-eyes.jpg

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Oh my. This one NYC eGullet sanctioned dinner I would definitely like to go but can't. This is my sad face:

sad-eyes.jpg

I would jump the fence for that cute face... So beautiful even when sad :shock:

We will miss you Jinmyo. When are you planning a trip to NYC?

Maybe we could see if we can do a dinner of eGulleteers... And if it can be planned in advance, we can do an eGullet gathering open to all. The idea would be to share with you our city and our foods.... Let us know.