• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

Don't know if a restaurant would be interested, but perhaps having the restaurant charge extra $5 over the meal price as a corkage fee, then have it be BYO. (~$5 since not everyone will bring/drink a bottle a wine themselves).

I probably won't make this outing, but just mentioned this as it was a way to handle it that i thought might work.

I see there's an eGullet tasting on Sunday November 10, and Thanksgiving is Thursday Nov 28.  So, maybe sometime during weeks of 11 or 18 November?

As for place, and dishes: I don't know about others, but I'd be happy to place the group entirely in Suvir's hands, as I'm confident he'd choose great dishes at a nice place.

A reminder: the International Hotel, Motel, and Restaurant Show is on at the Javits Center from Saturday, November 9th until Tuesday the 12th. So if we do it around then, we might be able to get some others who are in for the show (Macrosan, are you listening? :smile: ) Although that might be difficult for those who are actually WORKING at the show. :sad: Anyway, just thought I'd bring that up.

Also, from the 16th through the 18th, some of us (well, definitely me) will be away at the annual conference of Women Chefs and Restaurateurs in Cambridge, MA. So I hope the Indian dinner won't be scheduled then. :wink:

And I too would follow Suvir anywhere.

I am now a member of the Secretary of Defense's (Donald Rumsfeld) advisory board.

We are looking for new office bearers...

Thanks for joining me and the Secretary. :wink:

Make that, I would follow Suvir ALMOST anywhere. :blink:

I would follow Suvir to Yankee Stadium since he knows the way like the back of his hand. I would also happily follow him anywhere that has anything whatever to do with food and fun, including this current proposed jaunt.

This is a great idea-  I hope I can attend-  thanks to Suvir for taking on the challenge. 

Cheers,

Charles

It seems like a fun thing to arrange. :biggrin:

I have one problem now, Suzanne F who had promised to follow me anywhere.. is now changing it to "almost". I had already started planning a special food event with the Secretary... and now, I have to come up with a new idea. I was relying on her assitance... But not anymore. How quickly some of us change. :sad:

I am now a member of the Secretary of Defense's (Donald Rumsfeld) advisory board.

Was counting on you Lady :angry:

Just kidding.... I too would not be following myself is this were a real life situation. :wink:

I would follow Suvir to Yankee Stadium since he knows the way like the back of his hand.  I would also happily follow him anywhere that has anything whatever to do with food and fun, including this current proposed jaunt.

How about trying to have a Chaat Vendor come to a Baseball game?

That could be fun....

It would spice up the Yankee game even more....

I would definitely love to get in on this, as long as its after the 13th of November - I'll be in London until then.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Was counting on you Lady :angry:

Oh, what the hell. ANYWHERE, if there's food. Can't let politics interfere in something that important. :biggrin::wink::wink:

Okay: I've made notes on everyone so far who wants to come: 16 people, including a couple of spice. And also notes on good and not-good dates. Date possibilities are (all in November):

NOT 8, 9, 10 (no BklynEats or rstarobi any of those; another eGullet event 10th)

MAYBE 11, 12 (but no rstarobi yet)

MAYBE 13, 14 (everybody except Macrosan)

Please, NOT 15, 16, 17, 18 (no Suzanne)

*** MAYBE 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 *** (the gang's all here, including Macrosan -- how long are you staying?)

Okay?

Okay: I've made notes on everyone so far who wants to come: 16 people, including a couple of spice.  And also notes on good and not-good dates.  Date possibilities are (all in November):

NOT 8, 9, 10 (no BklynEats or rstarobi any of those; another eGullet event 10th)

MAYBE 11, 12 (but no rstarobi yet)

MAYBE 13, 14 (everybody except Macrosan)

Please, NOT 15, 16, 17, 18 (no Suzanne)

*** MAYBE 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 *** (the gang's all here, including Macrosan -- how long are you staying?)

Okay?

Thanks for doing this Suzanne.

When we have a date... I can work with it and plan on a restaurant and menu...

I'd like to attend also. Time to meet some of you. I'll go with the majority for the date. I work in White Plains, so I can't be anywhere in NYC till 7ish, but I don't think that presents a problem to this group. Weekends fine with me also.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

How would Wednesday, November 20th work for everyone? Not a Tuesday (okay, BklynEats? :smile: ); the day after Macrosan has his client meeting :smile: and it still leaves a full week to prepare for T-Day. Of course, it means no all-night carousing -- or at least not for some of us old fogies :wink:

PM me if that will be a good date.

And Suvir, if it turns out there is a space limitation, let me know so I can set up a waiting list. (We're now up to 18 if it works for all.)

How would Wednesday, November 20th work for everyone?

Works for me, if it's late enough; ie - after 6:30, preferably.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."