• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

I've been wondering whether an eGullet outing to an Indian restaurant, under the guidance of a moderator, to which all are invited, space permitting, might be a good idea . I see Fat Guy's post on another thread and I would like to see more official events that are open to all. I hope it's not presumptuous to ask if Suvir would be willing to guide the way in terms of place and date. I will help in any way that I can.

My suggestion would be some sort of organized chaat tasting at Dimple.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Now how much do we want to spend?

Is it Chaat that we want to eat?

Are we married to Dimple?

Or can I use whatever clout (and that of others) to find another location.. Where I can work with the chef to arrange for a Chaat tasting and some other stuff that would be authentic (maybe even more so than Dimple) even though the restaurant may not be a chaat place.

Is there any other Indian food you are interested in?

When are we thinking?

Dimple can be tricky in that they are always just staffed enough to do what they do.. And anything extra becomes tedious for them to handle and deliver well. I have now been at several big events there, and the chaos can be quite challenging.

It is with that in mind... that I ask all of you these questions...

And I thank you all for your encouraging words.. And for considering an Indian eGullet event a possibility.

I don't think we are wedded to Dimple.  The "official" eGullet events have been about $35-$40 per person.  Is it possible to do what you have in mind in that price range?

Absolutely! That is a perfect range.

Does this include beverages??

not for *me* it doesn't. :blink:

How have beverages been handled in the past?

Does the restaurant give individual tabs to each guest? Or is there another way you all have found that works better?

How have beverages been handled in the past?

Does the restaurant  give individual tabs to each guest?  Or is there another way you all have found that works better?

i've found that drinking a boat-load and then leaving before the bill comes works very good for me.

actually, i don't think we've ever come up with a very good way of approaching this issue (save the NJ dinner where booze was included for a song). thediscussion of the congee village dinner offers some fascinating insight into the process of addressing this very difficult issue

I think people will understand if drinks are over and above the meal price (and people have creative ways of splitting up drink tabs). I think we are an easy crowd--sometimes we've split up drink tabs in small groups (with most contribution coming from the most refreshed--now, who they?) and other times cost of drinks has been split equally as Suzanne says.

I see there's an eGullet tasting on Sunday November 10, and Thanksgiving is Thursday Nov 28. So, maybe sometime during weeks of 11 or 18 November?

As for place, and dishes: I don't know about others, but I'd be happy to place the group entirely in Suvir's hands, as I'm confident he'd choose great dishes at a nice place.

As for place, and dishes: I don't know about others, but I'd be happy to place the group entirely in Suvir's hands, as I'm confident he'd choose great dishes at a nice place.

i wouldn't want it any other way.

And shall I be gullible and believe you? :wink::rolleyes:

Thanks for your confidence in me. I will think of a place shortly... May I ask for a 10 day period in which to work with chefs and come up with a price. I think we should include drinks in the final tab. It would make the evening more memorable for what went right.. than what did not. Do we think something like $50 - $60 would work for those that drink? Of course the restaurant may want a ceiling on how much they will serve for that amount... and I can get a price from them for those that may not want alcoholic beverages, but would enjoy a lassi or coke or whatever... How is that?

That would also be fine. My preference for a large-scale eGullet function is simply to have the bill predetermined. I don't want any rude surprises for those on tight budgets. One way to deal with that is to include the alcohol, and another way is to do BYO. The BYO thing is nice because it lets people bring what is within their means and share with others. But either way would be fine. I'd just like us to be able to tell people in advance what the total will be.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That would also be fine. My preference for a large-scale eGullet function is simply to have the bill predetermined. I don't want any rude surprises for those on tight budgets. One way to deal with that is to include the alcohol, and another way is to do BYO. The BYO thing is nice because it lets people bring what is within their means and share with others. But either way would be fine. I'd just like us to be able to tell people in advance what the total will be.

I agree Steve. I would not be happy having any bad memories connected to an event I have any role in. Not good karma.

I think it may be best to have a pre-determined price and I can work with the restaurant to include free coke and other sodas.

How would that be?

BYOB would be the best and as you correctly say, it gives everyone the freedom to enjoy what they are comfortable with and share as they choose to.

It would make the tab a quick one to deal with. No surprises.. no drama... just good food, fun conversations... and fond memories.