• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pre-storm preparations & cookin' w/o power

HungryC

Gustav has reactivated my PTSD, so I'm feeling the need to make preparations. How do you prepare, food-wise, for a storm in the gulf? I make a big pot of gumbo or red beans to divide & stick in the freezer; I figure someone will always take me in if I show up with gumbo in-hand. I'm going to fill up my largest plastic containers with water and fill the freezer--apparently a well-packed freezer can hold its temp for up to 3-4 days.

It is a good idea to freeze the biggest blocks of ice that are practical - melts slower. Also, by my third storm, I have taken to setting up a couple of coolers with small portions in order to prevent cool air from escaping the freezer/fridge from opening and closing the door. Reinforcing the seals with tape helps as well. When you do have to open the door, make it quick. Snatch a few items and seal it back up. You are right, a full freezer/fridge stays colder longer. Dry ice is nice, if you can find it.

Eggs will actually keep pretty well at room temp, if necessary.

We treat it like a camping trip. Charcoal, propane, you get the idea.

Best wishes.

a well-packed freezer can hold its temp for up to 3-4 days.

That's IF you don't evacuate. Even though the track will most likely change once it enters the Gulf of Mexico, one it enters, that track will be more stable. Right now it's on its way to the coast of Louisiana, and I made reservations to get the hell out of the way.

Love your gumbo take-along idea. Your hosts will be mighty happy... :raz:

I'm just always screwed. 2 pups, lab and screwed up lapdog. and 3 cats, if my oldest comes with. I am so tired of being scared. This thing needs to go somewhere and die. I did not put in a generator, but as usual, I'll stay. Katirna and rita kicked our but, but think I'm gonna stay. again.

Hurricanes make you much more civic minded.

I know what my house can do. I'm more worried about NEW ORLEANS.

Edited by highchef (log)

Gustav has reactivated my PTSD, so I'm feeling the need to make preparations.  How do you prepare, food-wise, for a storm in the gulf?  I make a big pot of gumbo or red beans to divide & stick in the freezer; I figure someone will always take me in if I show up with gumbo in-hand.  I'm going to fill up my largest plastic containers with water and fill the freezer--apparently a well-packed freezer can hold its temp for up to 3-4 days.

Its funny, I used to be the same way, hit the store, stock up, fill the propane tanks, freeze a bunch of protein, buy lots of water, make a ton of ice in the stand alone freezer, fill all the ice chests with ice and beer. Lay in a case of wine. Restock batteries and candles, etc. Hurricane season used to be a real boon for the local groceries, Home Depot, and especially for Kentwood. I am thinking not so much anymore. Now the theory is don't buy any food, eat everything in the fridge and freezer, becuase most of it is getting thrown out anyway. I wouldn't want a lot of unfrozen produce or unfrozed anything laying around. If you make a big pot of gumbo, freeze it all like HungryC said. Freeze the butter, freeze the cheese, freeze the milk, freeze the bread, freeze the mayo.

Three of my neighbors invested in gas fired generators, that would be the way to go, maybe next year. The house will certainly hold up, and flooding isn't a threat, but we are very lucky and have access to a nice little house in the country, Lettsworth, it will be crowded, if it gets too crowded there are cabins across the road. So I am like why fight it. Hit the road early and often. Leaving Saturday a.m. if it goes elsewhere, we'll have had a pleasant weekend in the country. With three kids, there's no good reason to put them through any more trauma. Lots of work to do around the house though pre departure. I really hate trampolines.

Here are a few tips though. 3/4 full milk cartons for making ice. Great for the cooler because when they melt, no water. Absolutely don't put an unopened or full gallon in the freezer becuase the carton will crack during freezing and leak water everywhere when it thaws. You can drink the stuff too. Your broiler pan makes a great ice making rescepticle. Lay slabs on top of each other in the master cooler and remove when needed for the auxilliary coolers. A small bowl of ice in the freezer will tell you how long the power was out, clocks do too I guess, but I can't imagine anyone will be leaving one speck, nay one crumb of food behind in the fridge if they leave town. Also, charcoal works better than baking soda, and activated charcoal works best. ch