• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Vegetarian friendly restaurants

pups224

I'm meeting two friends in Chicago. One is a vegetarain. One is not. I am not.

Any suggestions for a birthday dinner at nice places that are veggie friendly but don't have to be limited to vegeterian. Money is not an issue, nor is vegan.

Thanks

I'm meeting two friends in Chicago. One is a vegetarain. One is not. I am not.

Any suggestions for a birthday dinner at nice places that are veggie friendly but don't have to be limited to vegeterian. Money is not an issue, nor is vegan.

Thanks

Green Zebra

I seem to remember a similar thread, or portion thereof, about this topic. Try searching a bit.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I recently had the best vegetarian meal of my life at Charlie Trotter's. This would definitely be a special occasion meal for vegetarian. It was quite expensive but I have to admit that every single aspect of this meal was perfect. They even offered a beverage pairing for those who don't drink alcohol. This may not be for everyone but I was impressed and would go again. :rolleyes: wl

• 2 weeks later...

I ate at Charlie's on Aug 29th. My companion had the vegetarian menu, I had the other one. I had a bite of her heirloom tomato dish and it was unbelievably good. Later we switched courses. She took my meat course and I had her morel dish. It was even better than the tomato. I didn't know anything could taste that good.

:wink:

For anyone into Sixties/Seventies kitsch, the Heartland Cafe, in the Rogers Park neighborhood on the North Side, is fun, moderately priced, and has plenty for a vegetarian to enjoy -- including some pretty decent (yea, even prizewinning, though I find it a touch bland and sweet) chili. Check the nightly specials menu for all sorts of cool seasonal stuff.

Not far from that location, south and west a bit in the Indian neighborhood that centers roughly around the intersection of Devon and Western Avenues, is Hema's Kitchen. Seriously wonderful, and seriously cheap. (Allot plenty of time, though, because the service is seriously slow. Good-natured as all get out...but slow.)

If you've got the cash to spend, the suggestion of Trotter's is plenty apt. Amazing combinations of flavor and texture, drop-dead quality, and a wine list to read like the Great American Novel (almost that long, too).

Rick Bayless' two restaurants, Frontera Grill and Topolobampo, in the River North neighborhood, have all sorts of meatless options.

Enjoy!

:cool:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Hema's rocks in every way you can imagine, and Lady T has given you the DL. The food, whether vegetarian or fleshitarian comes out of a homey kitchen where the lovely cooks make outstanding food.

Five years or so ago 12 eGulls went there for dinner, ordered pretty near everything on the menu (seriously) and the bill for all this was under a hundred bucks.It was BYOB back then and we stood outside on a lovely Chicago evening drinking beer while we waited in line.

Green Zebra, of course.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com