• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arcachon, Pyla-sur-mer, Cap Ferret

John DePaula

In September, I am going to be spending some time in Pyla-sur-Mer, near Arcachon.

Do any of you have suggestions, gastronomic or otherwise, to make the most of my time on the Côte Atlantique of France?

I have heard that the chickens raised in the Landes area are wonderful.

And, of course, the oysters. But are the oysters still safe to eat? I recently saw a report on European Journal: France: Mysterious Plague Kills Oysters. :sad:

Any recommendations are welcome: restaurants, markets, parks, etc.

Thanks in advance!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Any recommendations are welcome:  restaurants, markets, parks, etc.

Thanks in advance!

We had a very nice holiday there couple of years ago. Good casual meal at Chez Hortense right at the end of the peninsular. It was very busy, with a full second sitting at 10:00ish. We stayed at La Maison du Bassin and ate in the rstaurant which we really enjoyed - great setting especially on a balmy night.

We also stayed in La Gueriniere in Gujan-Mestras and ate in their one star restaurant. Quite nice but a bit formal for the holiday. Good place for oysters (if there are any around) as it is the centre of the industry in the area.

Not certain if any of these are in reach of where you are staying.

Thanks, Phil, we have rented an apartment and are staying with another couple from the Toledo area. The condo owner is also a friend from Toledo. Joyce had luunch with her last week, and she was just there. She didn't say anything about a shortage f oysters.

We're renting a car for our stay on our way in in Bordeaux. Looking forward to visiting several of the vineyards, and definitely Lillet! :rolleyes:

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Thanks for suggestions, folks! I found some mini reviews online for a few places in the area:

Chez Hortense

Avenue du Sémaphore

33970 Lège-Cap-Ferret, France

Tél. : 05.56.60.62.56

Le Café de la plage

1, boulevard Veyrier-Montagnères

33120 Arcachon.

Tél. : 05.56.22.52.94

Le Patio

10 Boulevard de la Plage

33120 Arcachon, France

Tél. : 05.56.83.02.72

Le Bikini

18, allée des Arbousiers

33120 Arcachon.

Tél. : 05.56.83.91.36

Chez Hortense sounds esp. good.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

John, we'll be there for 10 days starting this Saturday. I've left info on your buisness phone, hope we can link up for a bottle or three of Bordeaux!  :biggrin:

AND, maybe some chocolate!!!  :laugh:  :wub:

Sounds great! I'll contact you, Sam.

John DePaula
--------------------

Google lead me to information that the current crop of mature oysters are not hurt by the virus, but it has really destroyed the immature oysters. No known cause. :shock:

A little footnote; apparently two areas are still untouched by the OsHV-1, so it's a strange disease. Forecasters say it'll be a bleak Christmas-New Year's for us.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Google lead me to information that the current crop of mature oysters are not hurt by the virus, but it has really destroyed the immature oysters. No known cause. :shock:

A little footnote; apparently two areas are still untouched by the OsHV-1, so it's a strange disease. Forecasters say it'll be a bleak Christmas-New Year's for us.

From Reuters: Killer Herpes Decimates Young French Oysters

All of France's oyster breeding areas, of which 90 percent are on the western coast, are affected by high mortality rates except one area at Arcachon in the southwest. Scientists do not know why Arcachon oysters have been spared.

John DePaula
--------------------