• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MasterChef: The Professionals

Just had a mailshot through the post recruiting for professional chefs to take part in Masterchef! :blink:

Wondered if anyone knows anymore about it -and no we'll not be entering anyone, but would be interested to hear if anyone is- and who the judges will be?!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

• 1 month later...

well ive had a audition on friday the 4th jan for the new show, from wot i can figure out its mostley going 2 be in the studio. john torode is out and i think that michel roux is going to be the other judge with baldy veg guy. only looking for 36 contestents so fingers crossed i might get a spot!!

same format as the other is what they said so i would say six per heat and no going out to kitchens as they are pros and one through to semis in eat heat so will not be as drawn out as the normal masterchef, hope its nothing like ironchef as it sucks!!!!

wheni was there , there was not any1 special, i had to cook something to be served cold and was in a room with the producer and a camera man and a sound guy and just plated up my food, the people who were after me worked at crappy places so i dont know how high the standard will be. a girl in front of me did a muille fuille filled with whipped cream and was really proud that she had a fresh respberry sauce so if thats anything 2 go by!!!!

am currently taking time off ish only working 7 days out of a month on ships, but before was head chef at a restaurant in sweden which was voted the 31st best in the country and in the summer turned down tom aikens as he wanted me to help out at toms place first!!!

same format as the other is what they said so i would say six per heat and no going out to kitchens as they are pros and one through to semis in eat  heat so will not be as drawn out as the normal masterchef, hope its nothing like ironchef as it sucks!!!!

Surely Iron chef has to be one of the most amusing food shows on tv at the moment!

A pro masterchef though, I am sure that will be very interesting, and probably amusing....

:wink:

same format as the other is what they said so i would say six per heat and no going out to kitchens as they are pros and one through to semis in eat  heat so will not be as drawn out as the normal masterchef, hope its nothing like ironchef as it sucks!!!!

Surely Iron chef has to be one of the most amusing food shows on tv at the moment!

A pro masterchef though, I am sure that will be very interesting, and probably amusing....

:wink:

Iron Chef america is one of my secret vices actually.. :(

Me too, I wish they'd show the newer series here, there are some great names on there. Sur Lee, Wylie Dufresne & Sam Mason et al. Tried to download them off bit-torrent sites, but to no success.

Instead we get arse-voiced Southern food poncies whose claim to fame is that they've ripped off Bourdain and their mother schtups Prince Charles or they have a restaurant near a tube station. Whupeedo.

Don't hold back now Adey, tell us what you really think :biggrin:

Seriously though - I do tend to agree - why can't we have something more like Iron Chef which actually shows some interesting ideas, good skills, and is fun to watch. Instead we get bloody ready steady cook!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

well ive had a audition on friday the 4th jan for the new show, from wot i can figure out its mostley going 2 be in the studio. john torode is out and i think that michel roux is going to be the other judge with baldy veg guy. only looking for 36 contestents so fingers crossed i might get a spot!!

What made you think it was going to be Michel Roux? Slight step up from Torode...

they said torode was out and they went on about roux in the interview and i asked them if it was him and he smiled and said maybe, he might be fucking round but i hink it will be him or blanc as those are the 2 chefs the went on about in the interview

they said torode was out and they went on about roux in the interview and i asked them if it was him and he smiled and said maybe, he might be fucking round but i hink it will be him or blanc as those are the 2 chefs the went on about in the interview

Why is baldy veg guy allowed to stay? Is he on the production team or something? :raz:

have no ide, they just said torode is out and some1 else  is in! bit wierd that hes staying though

Why do you think that it is weird that Greg Wallace would still be involved? At the end of the day isn't he more of a presenter these days than a grocer (or whatever his day job really is). By comparison John Torode runs restaurant(s), so he may need to spend more time with his "day job".

Also, when they said "Torode is out", do you know if they meant purely for "Professional Masterchef" or for the whole set of future programmes?