• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montecristo Rum

Ed Hamilton

I've only had this rum a few times in smoke-filled bars from a plastic cup with music so loud that I couldn't even begin to write any notes. Tonight I had the opportunity to at least do some preliminary assessment of this rum from a proper glass. The color is a rich, dull copper but quite transparent.

At 80% alcohol by volume, this isn't a particularly high alcohol content. The initial nose has a light floral approach over a deeper roasted nut aroma. The first taste is smooth with a delicately balanced mature body of toasted coconut, ripe black berry and smoky vanilla followed by a well-rounded mellow and slightly viscous finish.

When I added a small piece of ice the flavor blossomed as I would expect from a quality rum.

Holding the glass at an angle of about 45º, before I tasted this rum I noticed very little difference from the high to the low side of the glass. I expected more character in the aroma but certainly wasn't disappointed when I tasted it.

According to Jim Haughinberry of Sidebar Spirits, the importer, Montecristo was blended to be a premium quality rum with a price that you could afford to use as a mixing rum. I don't know why I would want to mix this rum, or what I'd mix with it.

While the family resemblance to Ron Zacapa Centenario is apparent Montecristo is certainly a rum of it's own merit.

And there is a cork closure if anyone is keeping track.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Its great stuff. I have a bottle here and I've put an awfully large dent in it over a 2 month period.

Why they want people to use it as a mixer though, is beyond my comprehension.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I also have a bottle in my collection. I have not opened it yet, I've been concentrating on Barrilito 3 Star, Matusalem Classico and El Dorado Superior for the past 2 weeks. I'm going to be posting my amateur tasting notes on these as soon as I get more acquainted with them. Once that's done I going to open my Montecristo bottle along with Ron Cuba Liberacion 15 Anos and Ron Cuba Legendario 7 Anos. I should have a good impression of the Montecristo in a couple of weeks. I'll let you all know.

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Welcome awbrig,

I wouldn't think about telling anyone that you'd mix rum with Coke. Good rum is like food, there are many levels of food and many levels of its appreciation. Too bad we didn't meet earlier I'm right around the corner from you and Aurora suggested that we might meet. I'd love to introduce to a selection of some of the best rums in the world. Although the stores are catching up, albeit slowly.

I have been known to drink Captain Morgan and ginger ale. Actually the rum isn't going to hurt you, it's highly distillled in Puerto Rico, but the Coke will kill you.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I dont know much about Rum...I enjoy too many alcoholic drinks right now as it is to add another one... :blink:

True Story: 2 years ago on a remote island in the Bahamas I won a special brand of Gold labeled Bacardi Rum doing the limbo...i won the limbo contest...my wife has it on tape! :laugh:

Like every kind of spirit there are a lot of different qualities. But we are lucky that more good rums are coming to the consumer every month. Rum is certainly the best value in distilled spirits and there are a lot of varieties of the spirit. Aged French Caribbean rums will rival the best cognacs. For $25 - $35 you can buy some very good rums here in Chicago. Like food you have to know what you're ordering, but once you educate yourself, there are a huge variety of wonderfuls spirits to enjoy.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com