• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What does Door County have to offer?

Headed up to Door County for a couple of days, would love to hear about some recommendations for dining, etc. Never been before, thanks all!

The famous(?) door county fish boil thing??? don't remember the place...

much rigamarole for some boiled fish however..

Bud

The Whistling Swan was very good when I went a few years ago.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Old news but heard that the bowling alley in Sister Bay had a fish boil that was good. Don't forget to stock up on cherry p[roducts-pies, jams, dried cherries, juice-yum.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

• 2 weeks later...
Old news but heard that the bowling alley in Sister Bay had a fish boil that was good.  Don't forget to stock up on cherry p[roducts-pies, jams, dried cherries, juice-yum.

Here is my take on the Fish Boil; the food is not the reason to go. Now don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed the whitefish with a dash of salt and some butter, but its more about having around with other tourists, drinking some good beer, and watching the boil-over. Its like Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and eating some crab with all of the other tourists. Its not great but it is part of the "experience." The White Gull is kind of the top end of the fish boil restaurants, but Pelltier's provides a good one in a more casual setting, just make sure you sit outside. Inside reminds me too much of the Charcoal Grill (a local chain).

You also should check out Al Johnson's (the place with the goats on the grass roof. The Swedish meatballs and the Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberries are both awesome and are as much a part of the Door County experience as the Fish Boil.

I love the Mission Grille, though it may be a tad overpriced (what isn't in Door County?). The duck with door county cherry sauce is very good.

I will be up there in a couple weeks and I hope to try either the Inn at Kristophers or the Whistling Swan. I am leaning towards the Whistling Swan because of their affiliation with Hinterland Brewery, which I like a lot.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com