• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wine selection

KateW

I have to create a menu and a wine list to go with it. This is for school so please don't do my homework for me; I could just use some pointers in the right direction. Where can I find out what wines go well with what foods, and a brief description of each wine? It seems like all the websites I am running into assume I know what I'm talking about, and I really don't...

the wine avenger has a short book that's geared towards wine and food. he (willie gluckstern) is a no-nosense guy, and he's pretty damned funny. his theories, for the most part, are in line with immer's, and just about every other wine/food professional: acid good, oak bad.

willie's book is about 10 bucks and takes about an hour to read. i can't recommend it enough.

Winepool is an aussie site that has basic descriptions of what food would go with the wines; the wine range is appalling though; but it may help.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

The web is your friend. If you don't want to buy a book, try looking on the web. I went to www.google.com and typed in "food", "wine" and "pairing" into the search box and got a long list of matches.

This page has some theory behind food and wine pairing

This one lets you choose a food and tells you what wine goes well with it and what wine doesn't.

This page links to many other sites that have food and wine pairings on them.

wine.about.com page with both theory and practical info :smile: