• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian counterpart to Julie Le Clerc?

Hi all,

I have been reading and using Julie Le Clerc's work for inspiration over the years. She often combines traditional Kiwi dishes (improvised by more international/lighter takes), some straight-from-overseas dishes, and some invented-in-NZ-using-newly-available-exotic-ingredients dishes together in her publications, for example, lamb shanks with field mushrooms, scallops in the half-shell with hazelnut pesto, etc are some of her sample dishes.

Is there someone that is her equivalent in Australia? On one hand, she's not heritage conventional like Alison Holst, using all Heinz/Watties-commercial-brand-canned-or-frozen-products and preparation a la food-in-a-minute style like Allyson Gofton, or contemporary heavily Kiwi-ized like Annabel Langheim, and yet she has not reached the Alice Waters or Shannon Bennett-level obsession with locally-raised-organic-prepared-from-scratch-and-must-match-in-season ingredients either.

I suspect Marie Claire's books or Karen Martini's two books would be pretty close, but I would welcome if there are other suggestions.

Edited by johung (log)

I know you excluded him but have you tried Shannon Bennett's My French Vue (Bistro Cooking at Home)?

He deliberately made it much more accessible and approachable than his other cookbook.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I know you excluded him but have you tried Shannon Bennett's My French Vue (Bistro Cooking at Home)?

He deliberately made it much more accessible and approachable than his other cookbook.

Oh, both of Bennett's books are already on my bookshelf :smile: and I think his recipes are entertaining but probably feel a little too snotty to my liking. His in your face lecturing about organic GE-free local food is what makes it feel really awful to me. It is not as bad as Alice Waters, but I prefer Serge Dansereau at a similar level - more subtle, and less confrontational.

Edited by johung (log)

You could check out the following authors:

Philip Johnson, Bill Granger, Kylie Kwong, Neil Perry, Tegue Ezard, Jared Ingersoll, Stephanie Alexander, and Maggie Beer

Thanks, and this is what I gather from reading Granger's books. He seems to be very similar to Le Clerc in the type of food he cooks.