• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Spectator

rlibkind

What does it take to hang the Wine Spectator "Award of Excellence" on the wall of a restaurant. We all know the answer is not much. I found that out a few years ago when visiting a restaurant proudly displaying the award whose wine steward told me they didn't offer any German rieslings because he didn't like them.

Here's further proof: Osteria L'Intrepido di Milano, a hoax perpetrated by a blogger/author in which Wine Spectator issued the award to a bogus restaurant and wine list.

Of course, the perpetrator of the hoax, Robin Goldstein, is hawking a book. And Wine Spectator did call the restaurant (getting an answering machine message saying it was temporarily closed), as well as get a confirmation by finding it on Google Maps as well as seeing comments about the restaurant on Chowhound, so WS at least made a cursory effort to check the existence of the restaurant, though they should not have been so easily bamboozled or believe that finding something on the web automatically establishes veracity.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

What does it take to hang the Wine Spectator "Award of Excellence" on the wall of a restaurant. We all know the answer is not much. I found that out a few years ago when visiting a restaurant proudly displaying the award whose wine steward told me they didn't offer any German rieslings because he didn't like them.

WHY do I find that hilarious :huh: ??? Yet unsurprising :cool: .