• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The General's Daughter CLOSED?!?!

newsgal

From OpenTable's page on the restaurant -

The General's Daughter is currently closed and will be reopening mid-Sept under new ownership as ESTATE. More information coming soon.

I'm in tears. I really am. This was my husband's and my favorite place in Sonoma.

Yes, I know, I heard about it several weeks ago, I believe the owner's of girl and the fig will be opening the new place, I'm sure it will be wonderful! The house is so pretty,we loved this place, our last meal there in March was so good! :)

From the San Francisco Chronicle 8/5/08:

"Preston Dishman served his last meal at the General's Daughter on Thursday night, but it wasn't just the last night for the chef - it was the swan song for the Sonoma Plaza restaurant.

Instead of hiring a new chef to replace Dishman - he announced last month he was leaving to look for a place to open with his wife, Nicole - General's Daughter owners Jim and Bettie Hall decided to lease the space to Sondra Bernstein and John Toulze of the nearby Girl and the Fig.

Bernstein and Toulze will turn the restaurant (400 W. Spain) into a regional Italian place called Estate, due to open in mid-September.

"I've always loved the property," Bernstein says. "It's stunning, and the Halls have made great improvements."

The Halls will retain ownership of the property, but Bernstein has an option to buy it after six months, "once we see how all the creaks work out," she says. The Halls also retain the rights to the General Daughter's name.

The Estate menu, which Bernstein says will "explore the wonderful flavors of Italy as they relate to Sonoma," will offer antipasti, including plenty of Toulze's house-made salumi, priced at $5-$12, alongside entrees at $18-$28.

Bernstein says the name Estate has some significance. The Victorian building, which includes gardens and orchards, was part of the estate of Gen. Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, and the menu will feature estate-grown ingredients.

Toulze, who is the executive chef and managing partner of the Girl and the Fig (110 W. Spain) and Fig Cafe & Wine Bar in Glen Ellen (13690 Arnold Drive), will start out as the Estate chef until a chef de cuisine is hired.

As for Dishman, he's spending the rest of the month helping the Halls close the General's Daughter, but says he's still actively looking in Napa and Sonoma for a space of his own."

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

From OpenTable's page on the restaurant -

The General's Daughter is currently closed and will be reopening mid-Sept under new ownership as ESTATE. More information coming soon.

I'm in tears. I really am. This was my husband's and my favorite place in Sonoma.

We are getting closer to a deal hopefully we will have some news soon,

thanks to all of you for the support

=preston

We are getting closer to a deal hopefully we will have some news soon,

thanks to all of you for the support

=preston

I too wish you and Nicole well on your next venture. I feel very fortunate to have eaten at the restaurant on my NorCal trip. I still want some more shrimp and grits. Please keep that on the menu.

If, for some reason, things don't work out, I wouldn't mind if y'all move down south to Southern California and hang your hat there ... :biggrin::biggrin:

Take care,

Russell

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...