• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bend OR

My wife and I just returned from our summer in Bend and can not recommend Bistro Corlise highly enough. Link We found it to be the best fine dining in Bend, hands down. The food is inventive and tasty and the entirely French wine list is a fun departure from the usual Oregon pinots. You might also consider the Blacksmith. It's been a little up and down over the years, but when it's on it's great. Cork is always dependable, as is Stacatto at the Firehall.

I agree with Mayhaw on Deschutes. Great beer and pretty good pub grub. We found that the food was better at lunch than dinner. If you can get your hands on the Green Lakes Organic Ale that they aged in cabernet barrels you won't be disappointed.

I would also recommend Bend Brewing Company or the Pine Tavern for al fresco dining. Both have good patios with views of Mirror Pond. Pine Tavern is the prettier setting, but I actually prefer the food and great craft beers at BBC. Their Elk Lake IPA is killer.

As for dives, you can't go wrong with Pilot Butte Drive Inn. They make terrific burgers and the onion rings are worth the trip alone. If you're feeling up to it they'll make you their signature 64oz. burger, which you can then "carve" at your table.

Finally, I would avoid Merenda. It gets tons of press and it's always busy, but the food is mediocre at best and the service terrible.

Bend is a beautiful spot, enjoy your trip!