• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Updates for Paris Restaurants: Auguste, Pinxo, Toi

PaulaJK

In late September we will be visiting Paris and have reservations

at the following restaurants. Any comments, pro or con, would be appreciated.

Auguste

Gerard Besson

Le Gaigne

Pinxo

Citrus Etoile

Dominique Bouchet

Toi

Thanks Paula

Forget the Citrus Etoile (unless you want to be surrounded by Yankie tourists) and Toi, which is terrible (more of a bar/lounge place)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Ouch!!

In view of the dollar's weakness we were attempting to stay away from

citadels....but we still wish to dine well.

Could you say why Auguste was a disaster...and does Citrus have good cuisine, even in the midst of Yanks. I must say that I was thrown off by Toi's web site, so that is no loss.

Perhaps more importantly, could you make some other recomendations..

Much thnaks Paula

Forget the Citrus Etoile (unless you want to be surrounded by Yankie tourists) and Toi, which is terrible (more of a bar/lounge place)

Perhaps Citrus Etoile attracts US diners because they remember the food the chef cooked in Los Angeles? Are you saying the food is bad - or people shouldn't frequent places that attract diners from the US? Robyn

P.S. (and this also relates to the question UE asked about Zagat's in another thread) - if France is anything like most of the rest of the world - a fair number of locals dining at high end restaurants will be people out for a once every 1-5-10 year celebration - a birthday - an anniversary - whatever. Whereas a fair number of people who have traveled thousands of miles to dine at a particular place will be people more used to fine dining. That's the way it works at our golf club. People who come here from Ireland and Japan and the like to play golf aren't like a lot of us hacker locals - they are low handicap golfers who want to play a world famous course. So I wouldn't necessarily dismiss a restaurant in a well known part of the world like France simply because a fair percentage of its clientele isn't local. If the food isn't good - that is an entirely different issue.

Nothing wrong with the food- just it gets a lot of local hotel guests. Not the place for a "local" vibe.....

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I think I agree with everything above.

Auguste delivers only 33% of the time, that's the problem.

I'm still eating at Le Gaigne.

My problem with Citrus Etoile is his ego/price ratio.

Pinxo has never disappointed me nor db but I haven't been in a year to either.

Besson, excellent.

In late September we will be visiting Paris and have reservations

at the following restaurants. Any comments, pro or con, would be appreciated.

Auguste

Gerard Besson

Le Gaigne

Pinxo

Citrus Etoile

Dominique Bouchet

Toi

Thanks Paula

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 5 weeks later...

Citrus Etoile is nestled on a corner not far from Etoile, Its frosted windows invite curiosity but upon entering, the decor can only be described be drab, this even

despite its Hermes orqnge seats, Jars of tall cacti and goldfish bowls on a tqble here and there are the decorative elements; they do not speak to me,

The menu is rather limited in choices, with about 4 in each category, Prices appoach 40E' for starters and high 40 for entrees, 20E for desserts, The service is not in line with these prices, For example, water and wine are unattnded and you pour your own,

The signature foie gras beignet is very good, My pigeon wrqpped in cabbqge is perfectly pink but the sauce so insignificant that the dish lacked zip ('49E) My husband 's duck had a dark, muiddy looking sauce (perhaps compounded w liver)

which made it unattractive,

The petit fours were unremarkqble,

Decor D

Service C

Menu C

Cuisine Bminus

I apologize for the spelling of the above entry. It was my first experieince trying to type on a French keyboard.