• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan Cuisine Restaurant

I've been pondering the sequel as well, and am actually free that week. Count me in.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'd also love to do this, but am only available Sun, Mon or Tues nights. It there's enough interest, maybe two groups could go, one early in the week, one later--if not, there's always next month.....

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Oh all right, since I already admited to this at the Salumi lunch, I'll admit to it here. I'm not totally unavailable earlier in the week. I'm doing Weight Watchers and I weigh in on Wednesdays so I didn't want to go right before I had to weigh in. But, since that is not a real conflict, I will go on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday night. :biggrin:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Well, if we went on Sunday, you'd have time to slim back down by Wednesday. Of course, if we go on Thursday, then we're not 'wasting' a 25-for-25 night.

(I said that in jest, but now I am thinking that maybe we -should- plan to go the following week. How's Wednesday the 7th work for everyone?)

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I'm not available on Wed the 7th, but could do it on Mon (5th), Tues (6th) or Fri (9th). However, if everyone else wants to do it on Wed, I'll catch you another time.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

OK, based on posts here and PMs, it looks like the best night will be Tuesday, April 6. I'll call and get us a table a little closer to the date, but there are two looming questions:

1) Anyone else want to come?

ScorchedPalate

SeaCrotty

Ms. Ramsey

LEdlund

OK, based on posts here and PMs, it looks like the best night will be Tuesday, April 6. I'll call ahead and let the restaurant know that we're coming once it gets a little closer to the date, but there are two looming questions:

1) Anyone else want to come? So far we're seven:

- ScorchedPalate & SeaCrotty

- Ms. Ramsey

- LEdlund

- SeaGal

- Laurel & Joe

2) Shall we return to Lo Sichuan, or venture across the way to Seven Stars Pepper?

~Anita

<edited to add Laurel & Joe>

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

I haven't been to either so I'll defer to those who have to decide.

Jan

Seattle, WA

Joe and I are in! Going to Seven Stars sounds good. We could even make this a regular event and try a different place every time, like Tibetan hotpot, or sukiyaki.. Usually Seven Stars hot pot is only meat, noddles, and cabbage, but I was able to special request mushrooms and chrysanthemum greens (but that was for 30).

Changing venues sounds like a cool idea, Laurel. Next time, we can even start a new thread. :biggrin:

Seven Stars sounds good. Cam and I went there a couple weeks after our last eG hotpot dinner, and it was great. We ordered off the regular menu (that is, no hotpot) and impressed the owner by eating a dish that she tried to warn us off of: "very spicy Chinese dish!" It was closing time and she sent us home with tons of extra food, in addition to our leftovers.

~Anita

My husband, Mr. SeaGal would like to join us too. As he has to commute from the Eastside, he probably won't be able to get there before 6:30. Is that an ok time to start? If not, he could join us in progress.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

Mr. SeaGal can't make it after all, but I'm still planning on being there. Just need to know time and place. I think Seven Stars sounds good.

Jan

Seattle, WA

Seven Stars Pepper, 6:30 pm, Tuesday April 6 (tomorrow).

Sorry to hear Mr.SeaGal (maybe he should be SeaGuy? SeaDude? MrSea?) can't make it. So, we're back to 7 people...

Let me know by tonight, please, if (a) you'd planned to come but aren't able to make it, or (b) you've been lurking and want to join us. I'm not planning on calling ahead since we're less than 8 people and Seven Stars i spretty big, but if the group gets much bigger, I'd probably change my mind.

~Anita

See ya'll tonight at 6:30 then.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

Hey folks: Thanks for yet another fun eG hotpot night. Those of you who didn't come missed out on fishballs, pig intestine, and broth that definitely put the HOT into hotpot. :shock: WOO-eee!

We didn't really discuss it much at the table, but Cam and I thought that the broth, ingredients, and peanut sauce -- not to mention the dumplings o' love -- were better at Lo Sichuan than at Seven Stars Pepper, but it was fun to try a different place. (7 Stars would definitely be my choice for a large group, though, based on its capacity....) What did the rest of you who were at both dinners think?

Shall we plan on the Tibetan place in the U-district for "Hotpot, Part III" 6 to 8 weeks from now?

~A

I think I liked the peanut sauce at seven stars better, actually (last time I was there, I think our table of 8 got 2 refills). I don't have a clear preference for the broth or quality of in thingredients at either place; but I did like the greater variety at Lo Sichuan. I'm not a big fan of the thick skinned Sichuan dumpling; I prefer Shanghai style, like xiao long bao (soup dumplings).

I got the Chinese Snacks cookbook for Christmas but I haven't made anything out of it yet.. maybe we need to have an egullet dumpling party...

Edited by laurel (log)

I enjoyed last night's meal and seeing everyone again. I hadn't had hot pot in ages. I agree with Laurel on the dumplings--they were heavy and doughy for my taste. I enjoyed the broths alot, especially the spicy one. I liked the lamb, the pig intestines, tofu, and fish balls, but would have enjoyed some variety of vegetables. I thought the peanut sauce was good--never had it with hot pot before, but since my friends in the Bay Area were Taiwanese, maybe their hot pot condiments differ. I'll have to try Sichuanese Cuisine so I can compare.

I'd like to go back to Seven Stars and try some of their other dishes. They had fresh crab on the special board for $13.99!

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had the Sichuanese ravioli at the Sichuanese Cuisine Restaurant or is it the same as the Sichuanese dumpling mentioned? I do like a thin-skinned dumpling/ravioli. Our office is actually ordering from them for our birthday lunch in a couple weeks. I can't wait! I wish I hadn't missed the eGullet gathering - somehow the posting escaped me.

At Lo Sichuan, the dumplings and the Sichuan ravioli are different from each other. The ravioli is very thin-skinned, and the Sichuan ravioli soup they serve is good, but quite pungent (I like it). The dumpling skin is medium thickness.

At Seven Stars, the dumpling skin is very thick.

I thought the two hot pots were quite comparable, but it's Lo Sichuan by a nose for me. I actually like the peanut sauce (and the tofu) better at Lo Sichuan too.

We order lunches from Lo Sichuan at work all the time. You need a person who reads Mandarin to figure out who gets what (they don't write in English on the takeout boxes), and be sure that you actually have everything you ordered before you leave the restaurant.

Edit: Added tofu comment

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.