• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan Cuisine Restaurant

It's one place, on 12th & Jackson in the strip mall called Asian Plaza, next door to (I think it's called) Thanh Vi. Then again, it's really two places because they also have a Redmond location.

Chinese people call it "Lo Sichuan," but the awning says something like "Sichuan Cuisine Restaurant."

Edit: Okay, what Matthew said.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I can show you how to be an ignorant American born Chinese :wink:

I'm always up for hotpot:

http://dreadnought.gorgorg.org/photos/huo_...090044.jpg.html

I'm not aware of any order of eating things; in my family it was always a free for all. The cabbage and noodles take longer to cook than the meat, so you might just be noticing that.

I think both of the 12&J Szechuan places do all you can eat hot pot, so they'll just give you more if you finish off a plate.

I miss having a good Hotpot.

We used to have Hot pots a lot in Singapore where it is known as "steam boat".

Basically, there is a broth and then you chuck everything into the hot pot. The resulting broth can be really tasty, with fish, prawns, veggies in them.

The Taiwanese also have a spicy version of Hotpot which can be a bit too spicy!

ok, we're going to lunch at Sichuanese Cuisine today. :)

Been a while since we last went there and all this talk is making me drool . . . :)

That spicy beef fried noodles is excellent!

I guess I'm a little confused by this thread.  Are there two different Sechuan restaurants in approximately the same location that we're saying are both good or is all this talk about one place that is known by a several different names?  :unsure:

Both! :biggrin:

There are two restaurants across the street from one another, *AND* one of them is known by at least two different names. (Clarifying what MsRamsey and Mamster said, above.) Cam and I were talking about Sichuanese Cuisine Restaurant, a.k.a. "Lo Sichuan". Though we used to live by the -old- Seven Stars Pepper on 85th, and we liked it both before and after it changed over to Szechuan Bistro. As if you weren't confused enough already...

I'm 100% serious about going back and figuring out how the hotpot works, maybe sometime the middle of next week? It sounds like Laurel wants to come. Tighe, are you just being a smartass, or do you and Scrat want to come, too? :rolleyes:

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I'm 100% serious about going back and figuring out how the hotpot works, maybe sometime the middle of next week?

I would be in if it happens on Mon, Tues, or Wed.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Tighe, are you just being a smartass, or do you and Scrat want to come, too?  :rolleyes:

Sometimes its even hard for me to tell.....

I would be interested and I'll check with Scrat on it....

Edit to add: I'm in, Scrat is a definite maybe...

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I've got plans on Monday and Wednesday, but Cam and I are both free Tuesday. Let's plan for that...

Are we talking about dinner? I ran into Laurie A-B, who thought it might be lunch we were planning, but I was under the impression that it was dinner.

In any case, I was at Lo Sichuan/Sichuanese Cuisine today to order takeout. A party of 24 has reservations for Tuesday night at 7:30. Thus, if we're going, we should possibly be there by 6:00 or 6:30.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

And if no one objects to an infant in the party, Matthew and I would like to come and bring our child. (Many parents we've talked to have recommended Chinese restaurants as good places to go with babies.) I haven't been to either Sichuan restaurant and I look forward to it.

It would be great to meet Iris in person!

I was under the impression that we were talking about dinner, lunch would be a no-go for me unfortunately. I can be there by shortly after 6....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Hi all:

Yes, I was talking about dinner. And 6-ish on Tueday works for both me and Cameron.

And it will be a lot of fun to meet Iris (and her parents) after hearing so much about her. :)

So, if my count is right we've got:

me + SeaCrotty

LaurieA-B + Mamster (+ Iris)

MsRamsey

Tighe (+ maybe Scrat)

Schielke + Katie

So we're defintely 8+baby, maybe 9; I think that's as big as we can get. I'll call tomorrow and see if we can get reserved for 6pm.

~Anita

edited to add Ben + Katie, and change headcount

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

When we arrived, I noticed that Matt and Laurie had a little buddy with them who will soon be my cartoon buddy. :smile:

i2938.jpg

She was sleeping in this pic, but woke up during our meal to say hi and get a gulp of the spicy hot pot. She was disapointed with the lack of beef honeycomb though and went back to sleep.

i2939.jpg

We ordered both kinds of dumplings and later in the meal were informed by our server that we had unlimited dumplings on the house!!! Jackpot!

i2944.jpg

Tofu! Quite nice, it soaked up the hot pot-y flava'

i2940.jpg

Beef! There were piles and piles of raw beef floating around.

i2941.jpg

Pork! Quite good, we also had Lamb and fish, which were fantastic.

i2942.jpg

The Pot!

i2943.jpg

The Pot later in the evening, it was getting very tassty at this stage.

We had fun biting sichuan peppercorns and numbing the tips of our tongues. We should do it again!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

We had fun biting sichuan peppercorns and numbing the tips of our tongues. We should do it again!

I agree! Jean and Susan (the women who run the front of the house at Lo Sichuan) were so sweet to us. I would love to give them more of my/our business.

It was great fun seeing folks from last week's Salumi extravaganza, and meeting others we hadn't met before.

Thanks, Ben, for posting the pix. Glad there were no visits from the supernatural in this batch. :raz:

~A

Thanks, Anita and Cam, for organizing this dinner. It was so cheap, tasty, and festive that we should do it often!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

you guys had szechuan pepper corns? i thought they were illegal...?

i had lunch again at 7 stars pepper yesterday. the owner was cooking and it showed - the food was the best yet.

hot crab, szechuan prawns, hand shaved noodle, scallion pancake. unbelievable - definitely the best chinese i've had in seattle - maybe best ever

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Are you a cop?

:smile:

i'll never tell! :cool:

i thought i'd had them at 7 stars...but i keep being told that it's impossible. what are they like?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 4 weeks later...
It was so cheap, tasty, and festive that we should do it often!

Given that it's been more than a month, I think we're pushing the boundaries of "often" if we don't do this again soon. :biggrin:

Anyone up for "Lo Sichuan: The Hot Pot Sequel"? Or shall we venture across the street for Seven Stars Pepper this time?

Cam is out of town for a week starting Wednesday (eating at St. John with our eG buddies in London, on the flimsy pretense of visiting his newborn niece) but we could do any night Sunday through Thursday the week of March 28.

~Anita