• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unique breakfast burritos - beyond chorizo & egg

gfron1

Now that I'm settled in my little cafe job and have my morning routine down, I'm looking to expand just a nudge. The cafe/store doesn't open until 10, but I'm here starting at 6 doing my prep. I've been thinking that since I'm here anyway, why not hire a part-timer to help with the prep, have them work the counter, and open for breakfast burritos - why not?! But, if I do that, I need to be consistent in my quality and style.

So, while I could do the old standards, then this gringo would be competing against the existing stands who can do it much more authentically - so why compete? I'm thinking about:

Mango and something

Blueberries and something

Serrano and manchego

you get the idea... what combinations would you go for?

Now that I'm settled in my little cafe job and have my morning routine down, I'm looking to expand just a nudge.  The cafe/store doesn't open until 10, but I'm here starting at 6 doing my prep.  I've been thinking that since I'm here anyway, why not hire a part-timer to help with the prep, have them work the counter, and open for breakfast burritos - why not?!  But, if I do that, I need to be consistent in my quality and style.

So, while I could do the old standards, then this gringo would be competing against the existing stands who can do it much more authentically - so why compete?  I'm thinking about:

Mango and something

Blueberries and something

Serrano and manchego

you get the idea... what combinations would you go for?

Sounds almost like a few of your items are leaning towards a large-scale blintz - which isn't a bad idea! You could also look to traditional french crepes for your combos. The difference being that you make both in a flour tortilla that doesn't have to be eaten with a knife and fork. I would also have a couple of "traditional" options for the folks that come in looking for the egg/meat/cheese combo.

My favorite ever breakfast burrito comes from a restaurant in Long Beach, CA. Its got brown rice, black beans, chicken, scrambled eggs( or beaters) and cheese. Omg, it was soo good, kinda wet inside( I never got salsa so I dont know what that was). I wish I could duplicate it, I've tried, but have never come close.

eta: I found a pic, but of course it doesnt show whats inside.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I do a breakfast burrito with shreaded chicken and mango cilantro jalapano lime sasla, guess it is more a taco since I dont like eggs in it.... that is just me though something about the combonatino of scrambles eggs and mangos bugs me (texture not taste wise)

A though on the blueberries those would be really good with rosemary pork sausage, both these could have a rice and bean filler possibly even eggs with the blueberries which I have never tried.

I also like Pats idea, the salmon scramble that sounds really good.

The serrano and manchego sounds good as well.

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes

uhhhh... why go beyond C & E?

sorry, just had to say that.

am homesick for texas breakfast tacos and plain ol' C & E would be awesome!

i just reread the thread... we call em 'breakfast tacos' that you eat with 1 hand and can scarf down while driving.

that monster one from Long Beach CA has to be eaten off a plate.

i would just think that item is for eating on the run and would be in a small flour tortilla.

Taco Bell (and their naming) has done a lot to confuse what items are actually called... tostada or chalupa for example. Taquito or Flauta may be another.

Anyway, I thought about opening for breakfast tacos too...

bean & cheese

egg & cheese

chorizo & egg

bacon & egg

You asked about setting yourself apart with unique ingredients while i'd be happy to offer the plain ones from back home in San Antonio.

Bets of luck to you!

jaymer...

Jaymer, another ex-San Antonian here--something about a potato egg and cheese from Palapas or TC's just can't be beat.

I don't know if this qualifies as beyond enough, but a lot of awesome tex-mex breakfasts can be taco-ified for portable eating. I've had really good Migas tacos (there's a place in Austin that does Migas with spicy garlic butter that is so very tasty,) huevos rancheros tacos (though the sauce can get drippy,) chilaquiles with egg in a taco...mmm.

Still and all, for my money, a really well done bean and cheese or any other classic combo is where it's at: soft, fresh taco, fluffy eggs, if there are eggs involved, fresh pico de gallo.

Sigh, now I'm homesick.

I heat the tortillas on a grill and add the fillings. Currently I only have one burrito on the menu, which I put hot beans in to melt the cheese, etc.. I think the set-up would be similar - have two or three hot core fillings (beans, rice, ???) and add the extras to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Auds

Hoping you get this - (I didn't get an email about replies).

I went to Trinity U, so I was right down the street from the 1st TC.

We'd be in the computer lab (1982) at all hours and someone with a car would yell "TC Run" and off we'd go for late night Bean & Cheese (the cheapest ones)

This last weekend I made some breakfast for my opening crew - mixed some eggs, sausage, onion, smoked bell peppers onto a flour tortilla with butter, cheese & refried.

TTYTT, It was really too complicated.

I was "just making eggs" and then decided to throw them on a tortilla... commercial types that had been around since July.

All of that was a real awakening to how good a simple fresh tortilla with BASIC ingredients is.

I can't wait until next Saturday for some simple

Bean & Cheese

and Bacon & Egg

And I've never heard of Palapas or Migas.

jaymer...

Jaymer, another ex-San Antonian here--something about a potato egg and cheese from Palapas or TC's just can't be beat.

I don't know if this qualifies as beyond enough, but a lot of awesome tex-mex breakfasts can be taco-ified for portable eating. I've had really good Migas tacos (there's a place in Austin that does Migas with spicy garlic butter that is so very tasty,) huevos rancheros tacos (though the sauce can get drippy,) chilaquiles with egg in a taco...mmm.

Still and all, for my money, a really well done bean and cheese or any other classic combo is where it's at: soft, fresh taco, fluffy eggs, if there are eggs involved, fresh pico de gallo.

Sigh, now I'm homesick.

Edited by jaymer (log)

Apple/Cheddar with a little cinnamon or Apple/Cheddar/bacon

Blueberry/goat cheese

Goat cheese/mushroom/tomato (maybe some shredded chicken)

Spinach/goat cheese/mushroom

Bacon, lettuce, tomato, maybe some avocado thrown in and/or turkey

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Maybe your third hot filling could be cubed tofu (actually, I think thin slice would be better for one-handed eating).

I used to make a marinated salmon soft taco for breakfast (and lunch, and dinner), but I think most people don't consider fish for breakfast except smoked salmon/lox.

I like the idea of tofu, toasted almonds (for crunch), tomatoes, and avocado, though.

Chopped Artichoke Hearts

Bacon

Gruyere Cheese

Thyme

eggs

The breakfast burrito that flew to Paris

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

You cannot forget the classic Carnitas and Eggs

you pick the cheese, if it were me it would be pepper jack

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

My favorite comes from Konos Surf Club at the base of Crystal pier in San Diego.

It is made with a cheddar omelette sliced breakfast sausages and slices of avocado with a red, mild hot sauce they call pika. It is an awesome combination. Of course, being on vacation helps the flavor a bit.

HC