• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

spiegelau glasses at amazon

russ parsons

Hi everyone!  I'm new here, and just saw this thread.  I was worried that the deal would be over, but I clicked through and saw that it is now down to $49.99 for the 6 bordeaux glasses with the 6 burgundy glasses thrown in for free.  Free shipping too!

Hmmm, since I haven't gotten mine yet, I'll see if they give me a credit. Especially since some other boards report long delays.

beachfan

After having ordered the special (which I have now received in total) I went back to the Amazon site to check something. I noticed that in addition to the "Collection" line they also offer Spiegelau Authentis and WMF. Does anyone know the differences and have a perspective on the pluses/minuses of each?

Thanks

After having ordered the special (which I have now received in total) I went back to the Amazon site to check something.  I noticed that in addition to the "Collection" line they also offer Spiegelau Authentis and WMF.  Does anyone know the differences and have a perspective on the pluses/minuses of each?

Thanks

dimitri -

when you you order your glasses? Just checking on the inventory fow

Thanks

Paul

Got an e-mail from Amazon that another portion of my order has been shipped (one book) with shipping charged. So far, I've received one set of glasses (shipping charged), one book on the way (ditto), two DVDs delayed, and one set of glasses delayed.

So, when I finally get all the orders, they'll reverse all four (or five?) shipping charges? Sounds like a lot of work for "free shipping" when all items were said to be in stock when I ordered a few weeks ago.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Tell them to credit your account. They wanted to wait until I received the whole shipment also and make copies of the bills and then get in touch with them. I told them that was not acceptable and they credited my account. BTW--this happened twice.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered on 11/11 and the glasses arrived this week.

I find it interesting that everyone was charged for shipping, even though it was super saver. I, too, was charged, and had to request a refund. I wonder if this is a computer glitch or a policy?

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I think the deal is over... What a shame. I had missed this thread.

Does anyone know if the deal is one?

Any other such deals for these glasses?? :unsure:

I'm unsure of the NY market - but I can get the Reidel restaurant stem for about $ 8.00 a piece (12 PACK). They're beefier than my Vinums in the lip and base area but are identical in shape and a few grams heavier. Super durable and dishwasher safe. Hit up your local restaurant owner.

I ordered on 11/11 and the glasses arrived this week.

I find it interesting that everyone was charged for shipping, even though it was super saver. I, too, was charged, and had to request a refund. I wonder if this is a computer glitch or a policy?

It is Amazon's policy. They could do the programming to pick up the fee rebate if they cared to, but it doesn't seem to be in their interest to do so. I had an exchange with Amazon customer service the other time they did it to me.

The other order was a weber grill cover, a book on LA writers, and a DVD. I put the super saver code in the code box (as directed). Shipped as three pieces, shipping charged, and I had to request a refund

My guess is a significant proportion of users don't notice or request the refund, and so end up paying more than they should.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Any way you slice it, two dozen Spiegelau large stems for $120 is a great deal. Thanks for the heads up -- I might make a purchase myself, if I can find some extra space. Only a restaurant is going to be able to get them at a price like that (one of our chef users can give us an exact price, but I think restaurants pay about $30 for the six packs).

Spiegelau Authentis Collection White Wine Glasses, Set of 6

Currently $29.99, but they appeared in my Gold Box for $25.49.

Actually, if you're like Fat Guy and want 2 dozen, get an extra one for nothing (maybe you have to get one more thing too, I don't feel like doing math today): Save $29 at Amazon.com Today -- "Spend $129 or more on Kitchen & Housewares products offered by Amazon.com between February 1 and February 29, 2004, and $29 will be deducted from your order total. Just add the products to your cart and use this promotional code at checkout: LEAPREBATE29."

Also, free shipping.

Have to say, I really don't recommend these glasses. Every single one of my two dozen is now broken — and from little things like drying, hitting against each other, etc.

Of the 3 dozen Reidel glasses (champagne, chardonnay and bordeaux) we got for our wedding in 2001, only one glass is broken and that's because it fell off the table.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.