• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ocean Grove and Asbury Park

Curlz

Friends are heading to OG/AP for a few days next week and have asked me for recs...Bistro Ole is the only thing I can come up with. Any specific recs you can share would be greatly appreciated! They'll need meals over a few days, so all price points/types of food are welcome. Thanks!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Franks's in Asbury and Starving Artist in OG for breakfast and lunch. Nagles in OG is OK, too

Taka (Japanese), Sister Sue's (Trinidad) and El Monterrey (Mexican), Moonstruck (American) in Asbury for dinner

Bamboo Leaf (Pan-Asian), Draughting Table (American) in Bradley for lunch or dinner

Pete & Elda's in Neptune and Vic's in Bradley are local favorites for pizza

Windmill on the OG/Asbury border for dogs and fries

Pizza in this part of the country is legendary. While Pete & Elda's and Vic's are solid, for an even better pie and atmosphere, I highly recommend Vezuvio's in Belmar and Mom's in Neptune. I've been eating their pizza for some 30 years.

Headsmack! I've been to Taka...

And thanks for these other recs; keep 'em coming if you have any more. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 2 weeks later...
Vivas in Belmar was delicious - just came back from dinner.  BYO - Latin inspired.

Interesting that the thread began with a mention of Bistro Ole and led to a mention of Vivas in Belmar as chef Vivas used to be head Chef at Bistro Ole...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Vivas in Belmar was delicious - just came back from dinner.  BYO - Latin inspired.

Interesting that the thread began with a mention of Bistro Ole and led to a mention of Vivas in Belmar as chef Vivas used to be head Chef at Bistro Ole...

Hello, Mark.

I'll throw Brandl in Belmar into the mix. BYO, refined cuisine, very willing to customize, in my experience. Nice experience, IMHO.

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks for the recs, all! As it turns out, I got down there for a couple of nights myself; best meal was definitely @ Taka, but we had perfectly acceptable pub food at Brickwall in AP as well.

Good info re: the former Bistro Ole chef--thanks for that, too--one friend used to love BO but says the last time she went, they put CHEESE on the Firecracker Calamari. I have to agree that is a MAJOR foul, as it is a decidely non-cheese dish! Do you know when the chef changed?

Thanks for the recs, all!  As it turns out, I got down there for a couple of nights myself; best meal was definitely @ Taka, but we had perfectly acceptable pub food at Brickwall in AP as well.

Good info re: the former Bistro Ole chef--thanks for that, too--one friend used to love BO but says the last time she went, they put CHEESE on the Firecracker Calamari.  I have to agree that is a MAJOR foul, as it is a decidely non-cheese dish!  Do you know when the chef changed?

At least a year ago.....

At least a year ago.....

And that's right around when she stopped going there...makes sense.

Good info re: the former Bistro Ole chef--thanks for that, too--one friend used to love BO but says the last time she went, they put CHEESE on the Firecracker Calamari.  I have to agree that is a MAJOR foul, as it is a decidely non-cheese dish!  Do you know when the chef changed?

Chef Vivas and Rico, the front end smoochy guy at Ole, split a couple years ago...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I'm originally a 'Jersey Girl' now living in NY....my 2 fav's I like to hit when I visit the fam:

Definitely Pete and Elda's for that amazing paper thin crust pizza and blue moon draft beer. When we go (my mom, her husband and I), we like to sit at the bar...

For more fine dinning my fav right now is Mister C's in Deal. Great atmosphere, sophisticated decor...built right on the water. The bar itself is sunken from the lounge and the main dinning room (but still high above the water), with a wall of windows over looking the ocean, so when you sit at it, you feel like the waves are coming right at you!!. Lunchtime is fun there watching all the sunbathers on the beach.

I've also liked Rooney's Crab House in the past...