• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yat's Cajun Creole

Fresser

A new Cajun joint just sprouted up in my quasi-industrial work neighborhood. Interestingly, they don't have a printed menu: owner Nate says, "If we run out of a dish mid-day, we just switch the menu to a new item."

I found the pozole stew to be a smokey treat; has anyone else tried the place? They're on the web at Yat's Cajun Creole.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Not sure if its the same, but I used to go to a two-store chain in Indianapolis called the same.

It's the same. The website link above shows them with six locations: four in Indy, one in West Lafayette, and the one here that Fresser is posting about.

This is the first I've heard of a Cajun place serving posole...

Whoa, indeed.

In fact, I’m guessing, outside of the YATS “kitchen,” there hasn’t been this many slow cookers gathered in one spot since a 1950s cocktail party fueled with Swedish meatballs. After you place your order, a dude, who in a pre-Netflix world would more likely be manning the local Blockbuster video counter, scoops out oozy mountains of whatever you requested from the cooker onto oval plates along with a bit of rice. He tops those starchy masses with French bread that looks like it’s been slopped Jackson Pollock-style with the neon orange oil drippings from the grease trap of a Buffalo Wild Wings. Frozen Pepperidge Farm Texas Toast never looked and tasted so good.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Forget "whoa" try "ouch"

The review/assault assails the bread. Here's the thing about the bread. Yes, the color is grotesquely odd, and the flavor is not natural, but dammit, it is good in its own way. I always assumed he slathered it in the oil used for movie theater popcorn. It just has that taste. I loved that bread and the slow cooker foods plopped on rice.