• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flo Braker's Books

thecoffeesnob

wow those pics make we want to go bake that cake.. everytime I make the buttermilk cake, I look down and say I MUST make that one day soon, but then I don't. I'm trying to narrow down the flavors that I make on a regular.. I have a hard time remembering what I made for people LOL

I have her both books. I've only tried " cornmeal pound cake" from the simple art of perfect baking and it was delicious. I also read her columens in SF GATE. And ofcourse i'm waiting like others for her new book " baking for all occasions ".

I trust in Flo Braker books.

Edited by ALTAF (log)

One of the things I love about Flo Braker's baking books (say that three times fast!) is that they're scale-friendly. It's just so much easier to deal with than measuring cups.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

One of the things I love about Flo Braker's baking books (say that three times fast!) is that they're scale-friendly. It's just so much easier to deal with than measuring cups.

MelissaH

I totally agree! Plus that also means less washing up to do.

I'm baking a lemon tart out of Simple Art today. It looks so good in the book!

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

I'm in the minority here - I have been baking my way through Sweet Miniatures and have had as many disappointments as I've had winners. The chocolate version of the caramels is just awful, and a few other items were very bland and forgettable.

The tartlet crust recipe is excellent though, and overall I think the book is all right. It's just not quite as good as I expected it to be. Although the recipes do include weights it's frustrating because some of the recipes don't have weights for all ingredients, and some recipes have both metric and ounce weights so you better have a scale that easily converts between the two.

Just thought I'd add my $.03 (inflation).

Let us know how the lemon tart works out.  Lemon is my husband's favorite.

The lemon tart turned out really good! The pastry was a dream to work with and the filling was put together in no time at all. The tart had the perfect balance of sweet and tart- my idea of a really good lemon tart- and i caramelized the top which i thought was a really nice contrast to the smooth, silky filling

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story