• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourbon vs. Rye

eje

Up until relatively recently I'd always thought Bourbon wasn't really mixed with in cocktails until after prohibition.

That the shortage of aged Rye Spirits at the end of prohibition launched the popularity of Bourbon.

However, I recently came across a copy of Jacques Straub's pre-prohibition cocktail book "Drinks" and I find plenty of recipes that call for Bourbon. And plenty of recipes that call for Rye. And plenty that call for Scotch, etc.

I still need to go back to the book and make a study of which recipes call for Bourbon and which recipes call for Rye, but what cocktails do you prefer with either spirit?

I reach for the Rye bottle when I'm Old-Fashioneds, Manhattans, Sazeracs, Brooklyns, Red Hooks, etc.

But when I'm making a Whiskey Sour or a Los Angeles, I tend to grab the Bourbon Bottle.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I reach for the Rye bottle when I'm Old-Fashioneds, Manhattans, Sazeracs, Brooklyns, Red Hooks, etc.

But when I'm making a Whiskey Sour or a Los Angeles, I tend to grab the Bourbon Bottle.

I enjoy bourbon so much on its own that I confess I don't use it much in cocktails, though my grandfather made his Manhattans with bourbon, so that's the way I do. I don't get all fussy about it, though. Now, an old fashioned is a temperamental drink and rye just doesn't cut it for me (for the record, I prefer mine with bourbon and without that Carmen Miranda headsalad muddling up the mix—just an orange peel is fine).

I'll use either in a sour, though I wouldn't use a bourbon for a Sazerac (and call it that).

On receiving a bottle of Templeton Rye last week, I began playing with a cocktail and need to tweak proportions more, but it seems it could go either way: whiskey (rye or bourbon), Torani Amer, Cointreau, and Angostura orange bitters. Hmmm...maybe I'm going even more minimal than an orange peel in that old fashioned, after all.

[edited for spelling]

Edited by mbrowley (log)

Matthew B. Rowley

Rowley's Whiskey Forge, a blog of drinks, food, and the making thereof

Author of Moonshine! (ISBN: 1579906486)

I generally agree: rye for most things but bourbon for a few specific drinks. I'd add Crustas and Juleps to that bourbon list of Erik's, and will grab bourbon for a Sour or an Old Fashioned -- especially if I'm going for the cherry & orange hoohah. Also, I think bourbon plays pretty well with others, especially ginger-based drinks like the Gingered Gentleman that's a regular part of our summer rotation.

When I look at the list, I can see that a drink with citrus fruit tends to make me pull the bourbon and that I grab the rye otherwise (when the fruit is a brandy-soused cherry). I also think that rye really benefits from a bitter cocktail.

So what makes other people choose one over the other?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I grab the bourbon bottle when I want something sweeter. Rye when I want something a bit spicier.

The best of both worlds is the Bulleit bourbon. More rye in the mash = spicier bourbon. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I grab the bourbon bottle when I want something sweeter.  Rye when I want something a bit spicier.

The best of both worlds is the Bulleit bourbon.  More rye in the mash = spicier bourbon.  :wub:

Too right! I usually drink bargain (read Old Crow) Bourbon and Club soda ( I have a sugar problem, and should not be drinking at all) but I was given a bottle of Bulleit as a birthday gift from a bartender friend... Wow, that's some good stuff! You almost can't get good, spicy rye here in Florida. That stuff, if damn expensive, is SO good!

ETA: the bargain.

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I probably go through 5 bottles of rye for every bottle of bourbon.

Good Lord, Man! There are twelve step programs that might be able to help you, if you really want the help.

Actually, that Pappy VanWinkles old ass rye takes bourbon to the mat, every time. I love an old fashioned or a Sazerac made outta that stuff.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I grab the bourbon bottle when I want something sweeter.  Rye when I want something a bit spicier.

The best of both worlds is the Bulleit bourbon.  More rye in the mash = spicier bourbon.  :wub:

Yeah, the Bulleit is rather versatile in that regard. I had an unopened bottle of rye that I was reluctant to crack into, so I kept grabbing the Bulleit instead! Otherwise, my pattern follows the one described by eje.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes