• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO deep silicone petit four mold

CanadianBakin'

Petit Four Mold

I have spent a lot of time searching the net in general and here but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I need a cylinder/petit four mold that is roughly 40mm diameter x 40mm deep with straight side not tapered. The deepest I can find is about 20 mm and that won't work.

Does anyone have a pan like this or where I can get one? Or do you know of an obscure supplier that I might not have found?

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I checked every source I use for silicon molds with no luck. I found 40mm widths and 40mm depths but not the two combined in one mold. Maybe order some mold silicon and make your own?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

I'm helping a friend who is in the planning stages of opening a very cool coffee shop. He will only be selling minis but not the sort you'd find at a tea shop. For instance he loves the Oat Fudge bar that Starbucks sells but doesn't like the presentation and of course they don't sell it as a mini. I made a version for him with better ingredients and in my mini cheesecake pan. He loved the taste and look but says they are a little bit too big. He like the cylindrical look rather than the tapered look of a mini muffin pan. Another thing he'd like it for is he'd like to sell "pie holes". An example of this would be a shortbread crust topped with a firm lemon curd. If I had a silicone form I could freeze these and then before putting into the cooled displayed case they would be turned out and topped with a crisp meringue "kiss". He says 2" is too big and the petit four pans are the right size but because everything he's selling is so small he feels the height is quite important.

Does this help?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I was able to find 60x30x30 molds (closest I could manage).

Their web store is undergoing maintenance, but icedaffair.com.au offers 50mm stainless steel cubic molds. The neat part is each pan (it's 16 wells) comes apart in two U-shaped pieces that slide into each other, making for easy unmolding. They were featured in a recipe for Australian Gourmet Traveler:

http://gourmettraveller.com.au/little_yogh...ossom_cakes.htm

EDIT: Oh, krapfen! You meant straight-sided circular molds! Will look again.

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Closest match from the Golosine line of Silikomart (an Italian company):

SF037 Octagons Diameter 38mm Height 26mm (it's off by 1cm of height. Not bad, huh?)

Unfortunately the sides taper on this one:

SF020 Medium baba Diameter 45mm Height 48mm

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

The orange molds at JB prince might be getting close. I have a few different ones and they are decent quality but do degrade from butter/oil when use for baking as opposed to just molding. They also have some modular molds that might be worth a look.

http://www.jbprince.com/flexible-silicone-...8-cylinders.asp

http://www.jbprince.com/production-molds/1...ds-and-tray.asp

If you're just molding and not baking, there's always PVC pipe, 1-3/4" might be close to 4 cm, and definitely cylindrical. And CHEAP!!!

It might be hard to find those exact dimensions, good luck, but I hope your friend is a little bit flexible!

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I've passed them along and we'll see what he says. He's fairly innovative and well funded so it wouldn't surprise me if he tries making them or has someone else try.

Hee.....glad I'm good for a laugh or two! :laugh:

But, back to business.....have you looked at JB Prince?

It LOOKS like some of the molds there may be what you're looking for, but the stupid product descriptions tell you the size of the entire pan instead of the dimensions of the molds themselves.

There's some cool neato shapes though.......

I bet you'll have fun cruising around that site......there's so much of that stuff I want!!!!!