• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your leftovers are in your car

So my husband and I and another couple who were also celebrating their anniversary (our 36th and their 23rd :smile: ) went to Daniel's Broiler-Leschi last night and had a wonderful time. Great food, great service, great free show - all the boaters, a very good, free "celebration cake," the works. We'd used the valet parking.

As we were leaving, our server said, "I've put your take-home boxes in your car; have a nice evening!"

This was . . . nice, but for some reason feels kind of creepy. Is this something new I just don't know about? (We really don't get out much! :raz: )

Thanks.

K

I'm sure they're just going the extra distance with thoughtful service.

I think that's preferable to the server leaving the to-go box on the table all night after we didn't finish the HUGE calamari app, as happened last week in Colorado - in that case I would have preferred them to keep it in the kitchen and bring it back out with the check, instead of looking at the box for the next three courses.

Getting home and finding the leftovers in one's refrigerator is creepy.

I'm assuming the restaurant had valet parking. Strikes me as a creative bit of hospitality though it might have been better if they asked before acting.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I find valet parking creepy, but once I sign on for that I don't feel that putting stuff in the car constitutes any additional increment of creepiness.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I find valet parking creepy, but once I sign on for that I don't feel that putting stuff in the car constitutes any additional increment of creepiness.

I agree on both points, especially the first -- my mother called it Varlet Parking. In fact I think that it was well-meant and hospitality driven (pardon the pun.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com