• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substituting Nectar for Milk

Lisa2k

I've been experimenting with peach cupcakes, and just adding chopped peaches to the batter doesn't give me the all around peach flavor in the cake, I'm seeking. I was thinking of subbing ALL peach nectar for the milk, and maybe incorporating some dried peaches into the batter for an extra peach bite along with the fresh peaches.

My question is, should I just use part peach nectar and part milk, or would ALL peach nectar be ok? I'll also be adding a little habanero kick to it, so the more peach flavor, plus heat, would be ideal. Any opinions or experience with using some other liquid other than milk/buttermilk, in your basic yellow cake batter?

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

There's a chance that your mixture won't set up properly. One function of milk when paired with acid in a cake is to form proteins that set up as solids in the finished cake. You may wish to add some NFMS or powdered milk to your dry ingredients to help keep it stable.

You'll probably also need to look at reducing the amount of sugar, since nectar contains a lot more sugar than milk. Extra sugar tastes good, but can lead to odd unstable results like collapse into a crispy cookie-like mass.

There's a chance that your mixture won't set up properly. One function of milk when paired with acid in a cake is to form proteins that set up as solids in the finished cake. You may wish to add some NFMS or powdered milk to your dry ingredients to help keep it stable.

You'll probably also need to look at reducing the amount of sugar, since nectar contains a lot more sugar than milk. Extra sugar tastes good, but can lead to odd unstable results like collapse into a crispy cookie-like mass.

Thanks so much, Lisa! I'd never used anything but milk or buttermilk in my basic yellow cake recipes, so it's good to know this before attempting it. I've already made the 'less peachy' batch, and didn't want to 'waste' a batch.

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

~Lisa~

Good luck!

Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks so much for the advice, Lisa. Many others confirmed what you did, but I had to try it anyway, using half milk and half nectar. Didn't work out well as far as obtaining a nice, fluffy cupcake! However, through trial and error, I finally came close to integrating a deeper peach flavor into the crumb of the cake by using roasted, pureed peaches. You can read about the whole process and final product (with photos) in my blog.

That said, I still need to figure out a way to get a 'REALLY' intense peach flavor into a cake!!

~Lisa~

Funny you should say that...I just posted some results of my liqueur making in the Spirits section....

Maybe you could try making a peach extract?

It's pretty simple if you have a safe place to store a jar of alcohol for a week or so. And, you're lucky, good fresh ones are still in season.

Get a bottle of Everclear. The amount you use will obviously be about the amount you wind up with, so the amount is up to you.

Get some really fragrant peaches, I'd guess about two per 750ml bottle of alcohol. Wash and dry the fruit, then cut it up very finely and place in a non-reactive jar/container and cover with the alcohol. (do not use the pits) Allow to infuse for about a week, shaking or stirring the contents every once in a while. Taste the alcohol daily. Once it seems to no longer be getting more fruity in flavor, strain, discard fruit (it's edible) and package the infusion for long term storage.

If you take the infusion and mix it 50/50 with simple syrup, you have liqueur -which could be sprinkled onto the cake after it is baked to add flavor.

My other recommendations would be: to flavor the icing with the peach extract, or to inject each cupcake with a peachy filling.

Funny you should say that...I just posted some results of my liqueur making in the Spirits section....

Maybe you could try making a peach extract?

It's pretty simple if you have a safe place to store a jar of alcohol for a week or so. And, you're lucky, good fresh ones are still in season.

Get a bottle of Everclear. The amount you use will obviously be about the amount you wind up with, so the amount is up to you.

Get some really fragrant peaches, I'd guess about two per 750ml bottle of alcohol. Wash and dry the fruit, then cut it up very finely and place in a non-reactive jar/container and cover with the alcohol. (do not use the pits) Allow to infuse for about a week, shaking or stirring the contents every once in a while. Taste the alcohol daily. Once it seems to no longer be getting more fruity in flavor, strain, discard fruit (it's edible) and package the infusion for long term storage.

If you take the infusion and mix it 50/50 with simple syrup, you have liqueur -which could be sprinkled onto the cake after it is baked to add flavor.

My other recommendations would be: to flavor the icing with the peach extract, or to inject each cupcake with a peachy filling.

Actually, I make my own vanilla extract, but never even thought of making peach extract! Thank you so much for all that info, which I just copied and pasted into a file in a recipe folder. :)

Having said that, I did fill my peach cupcakes, with a fresh peach curd napped with Peach Schnapps and frosted them with a honey-reduced peach nectar cream cheese frosting. All in all, it came out great, but I'll get started on that peach extract tomorrow, as I didn't want to use store bought peach extract. It's mostly artificial.

Edited by Lisa2k (log)

~Lisa~

I have not made peach extract before, but I have made a variety of floral ones, black raspberry, quince, apple, yuzu, chocolate, and vanilla.

Let us know how it all works out!

Honestly, your previous work sounds delicious, but if you are able to improve upon it....

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)