• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Torches

NVNVGirl

from Dave Arnold's cookingissues.com:

What Is Torch Taste?

The theory about torch taste has always been: Sometimes a blowtorch doesn’t combust all the fuel it’s blowing out, so traces of propane wind up on the food and impart a nasty flavor. Propane and butane and natural gas are all impregnated with sulfury odorants such as ethyl mercaptan, as a safety measure so you can smell a gas leak. Those odorants are another possible culprit for the taste.

Modernist Cuisine makes the claim that butane and propane torches are more liable to cause torch taste, “because the low-power flame can’t burn off the gas fast enough,” and recommends using MAPP gas or even oxyacetylene. I picked up a cylinder of MAPP gas on this advice when the giant book first came out, and at first I thought I was noticing an improvement, but then my dishes, especially ones with low surface moisture to start with, like fatty meats or plain toast, began tasting torchy again.

(MAPP is a trade name for a now-discontinued fuel gas that was basically a mixture of methylacetylene and propadiene, which burned at 2926°C in air. The MAPP-compatible torch you bought can now take cylinders of a product called MAP/Pro, which according to the internet is largely propylene and burns at 2054°C, compared to propane’s retro 1980°C. According to the cylinder’s label though MAP/Pro offers “3x faster heat transfer than propane.” Coincidentally, the price of a canister of MAP/Pro is just about 3x that of a canister of propane.)

Arielle Johnson, friend of this blog, has a gas chromatograph. (She’d be our friend regardless, I’m sure.) She ran some preliminary comparisons of beef cooked a) with a torch and attachment b) with a torch with no attachment and c) in a pan. Take a look.

500x473xMeat-torch-plot-500x473.gif.page

Clockwise from top: cooked in a pan, cooked with a torch, cooked with the torch attachment.

The results want a post of their own, but what’s on the bare-torch-cooked meat is compounds — like phenol and methoxyphenol oxime — that may be more the result of too-high heat than anything coming out of the fuel canister.

Also interestingly, the meat cooked with the Improved Torch had big spikes in acetoin and hexenal, both of which are associated with pleasant, desirable flavors.

">

• 8 months later...

It has been suggested that I use a torch for some of my cooking, but I haven't been interested in adding another piece of kitchen gadgetry to my limited storage space, nor do I know what I might use it for, or how often I'd use it.  However, in another thread here this morning http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149530-that-darn-skin-–-peppers-tomatoes-etc/ - post #5 - a new-to-me use for the torch was suggested. 

So, what do you use a torch for, and what torch do you use?  How often do you use your torch? What should one look for if buying a torch for cooking purposes?  Do you get a fuel taste on the food when using the torch?

Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I use a torch quite frequently. But, this is because I do a lot of cooking SV, so the torch is a convenient way to brown. It takes a little practice, but once you're familiar with it, you can get great results with no fuel taste or other issues.

I use a Bernzomatic hose torch - which attaches to a standard 1 liter propane tank. I find the hose torch convenient as I can hang the tank on my belt and manipulate the torch 360 degrees around without fear of it extinguishing. Sometimes, when you use a regular torch, it will extinguish if you hold it close to upside down too long (which is exactly what I do when torching food!) Plus, the hose torch has a "swirl" head which turns the flame into a sort of cyclone which is supposed to ensure more complete combustion and more heat. I don't know about the claims, but I will say that I've never experienced torch taste when using it.

You see them used on some of the cooking shows on TV.  Generally they are browning the tips of a meringue on a pie

or some sugar confections.  The browning adds to the eye appeal.

As torches go,  I've seen some with instant ignition triggers which work something like the ignition of a gas BBQ Grill.

Some of these are propane and others butane. 

If you have a Husband with some tools in his shop, he may have a torch already that he would use to solder or losten

rusted bolts.  If he does you may be able to purchase a simple flame spreader attachment to use with that in the kitchen.

I don't think you will get much of a fuel smell as those two gasses burn fairly clean.

Instant start torch image:

http://media.toolking.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/275x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95

/B/e/Bernzomatic_Corp_94023_TS3000T_Trigger_Start_Prop_Torch_Head_Propane_-_Each.jpg

clamp on flame spreader

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31tTCr-2nqL._SY300_.jpg

Sometimes, when you use a regular torch, it will extinguish if you hold it close to upside down too long (which is exactly what I do when torching food!) 

That's why a high-intensity torch with a built-in regulator, such as the Bernzomatic TS8000, is highly recommended. Basic torches don't have that.

Torch taste isn't a problem if the flame is adjusted properly.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

MAPP gas hasn't been made here in the USA since 2008....stuff currently labeled MAP-PRO is glorified propane.

Just use plain propane.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Avoid the Bernzomatic TS3000 (t).  I see lots of students buying them because they are cheap, but it breaks really easily and the flame doesn't adjust so, it's a disappointment. I have literally seen hundreds of these break. (all plastic)

The Bernzomatic TS8000 costs more, but is adjustable. (cast aluminum with brass fittings) I got mine with the Ace Hardware imprint, it was about ten dollars cheaper than the name brand version at the big box hardware store and came with a tank of gas. This is the one I recommend.

The Bernzomatic TS4000 is ok, just doesn't adust. It is also occasionally available as an Ace store-brand for less.

Additional uses not mentioned above: warming the sides of a mixer bowl, sugar showpiece work, and reheating candy like nougatine to manipulate the shape (think croquembouche.)

I use a regular propane torch from the hardware store, mostly for touching up the browning on roasts, and occasionally on desserts (browning meringue icing, caramelizing stuff, etc.).

This startup by the cooking issues guys has a great product called the searzall. It converts much more of the flame's energy into radiant heat (which is what we use), and spreads it over a larger area. I haven't seen or used this thing. But I trust these guys, and looks like it removes many of the difficulties of using a plain torch.

I'd suggest getting the torch they recommend in their FAQ. It's a somewhat more powerful one than the cheaper hardware store versions like mine. They demonstrate that it works much better with their product. That way if you ever decide to get a searzall, you'll already have an ideal torch for it.

At the very least, get a torch with a regulator, so it will work when you tilt it upside down. Ones without regulators stop working when tipped after the cylinder is about half empty. And you'll almost always be tipping it to use it.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Another great use for a torch.

Some pork skin has whiskers.  Some chickens have tiny feathers.

Burn them off. Takes seconds.

dcarch

I do this when I get chickens, ducks and game birds from my "egg man" because when I get them they have been eviscerated and plucked but not fully (head and feet still attached too).  Ditto pork skin from the Mexican carniceria. 

"Finishing" baked hams with a brown sugar crust is much easier with a torch than in the oven.

Browning the surface of birds that have been braised in a covered roaster  (for old hens, wild turkeys and geese that do not get tender enough with regular roasting).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Iwatani butane torch. A couple of things I like to use it for are:

o Creme brulle

o Browning the skin on a duck before I put it in the oven (not a perfect solution

but it seems to help.)

o Browning meat cooked sous vide.

Note, I don't get a flame taste but I'm careful to adjust and use it so that won't happen.

Edited by sculptor (log)

I use an Iwatani butane torch. A couple of things I like to use it for are:

o Creme brulle

o Browning the skin on a duck before I put it in the oven (not a perfect solution

but it seems to help.)

o Browning meat cooked sous vide.

Note, I don't get a flame taste but I'm careful to adjust and use it so that won't happen.

I love my Iwatani. A lot of people here don't like it because there are hotter torches available, but I like it for the large flame it produces. The gas is easy to get as well, and the fact you don't have to hold the trigger down while using it is actually a huge bonus.

• 9 years later...

go to HomeDepot.

get this self=ignighter

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-27-000-BTU-Propane-Handheld-Torch-with-Self-Ignition-for-1-lb-Propane-Cylinder-YSNAX1-085/314329616

but get the squat propane canister

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-1-lb-All-Purpose-Propane-Gas-Cylinder-2-Pack-332773/205367341

its far more stable than the slimmer versions.

this ignighter   is 45 degrees and you have to tilt the propane tank a great deal more to use on food.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-Propane-Gas-Torch-Head-with-Adjustable-Flame-WT2301/202539575

n ot as easy to use in the kitchen as the 90 degree , first reference

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

I used to use a plumber's torch  until a photograph of me torching mini creme brulees with it was published in the local newspaper (we were doing a charity function).  after that embarrassing moment, I started using the ChefMaster torches.  Here's a link ChefMaster torch from Webstaurant Store

I've used this type/brand for 15 years and they're pretty reliable.

Edit: to fix the link

Edited by JeanneCake (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1