• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO really exotic eats near Randolph

GaijinGirl

So, my mother in law is taking me out for my birthday on Sunday. She lives near Randolph (near Morrisdown, Madison, etc.)

While the Cheesecake Factory is the fallback, I'm a complete and utter exotic food fan.

I've had almost everything, from natto to durian to tteok bokki, to--well--tons of other stuff. I've got first choice, and was wondering if anyone knew of any really impressive exotic places in the area (ie: not your standard Chinese food, sushi, Mexican or Thai joint) - but someplace with really impressive, hard to find fixins.

I'm partial to Asian (as per the nickname), but would consider any ethnic cuisine, as long as it's different, and authentic. (Portueguese, Argentinian, Polish, Burmese...basically anything.)

Thanks in advance!!

--Janet (GG)

Edited by GaijinGirl (log)

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

Once again, my vote goes to Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove for authentic Schezuan fare. I just got home from a table of 8 at CH1 and it was fabulous!! We didn't have it, but they have plenty of exotic dishes containing things like tripe, kidneys, and tongues from various and sundried animals. CH1 never dissapoints!!

Tab came to $27.00 a head including tax and tip and we are stuffed!!

Go for the Hot and Spicy Jumbo Prawns, Lamb in Special Pepper Sauce, Double cooked Pork(belly).

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I think I have a capsicum hangover...or was that naaah

Spicy baby wontons...Erics favorite food

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It is ALL. ABOUT. THE. PRAWNS. And the lamb. And the pork belly. (at Chengdu 1, that is) Oh, and don't forget Ants on a Tree! :biggrin:

And fwiw, if your mother-in-law isn't going to join you for the exotic dishes, there is plenty of 'regular' Chinese on the menu that she can order...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Hmmm, Chengdu. I'll consider it. :biggrin:

Just to throw a non-ethnic possibility into the mix...anyone know if there's baked alaska available in the same NJ area? That's also been on my to-try list for some time, and maybe more available around Randolph? Thanks..! -J

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

Chengdu is really far from randolph, at least 45minute drive...

If going on the Asian theme, China Chalet (same cuisine as chengdu) in Florham Park is very good.

Two towns over in Dover, they have a heavy Latin presence, though unfortunately do not know any exotic eats there on top of my head.

But, if you're into Indian, right down route 10 in parsippany, they have Cinnamon. Never been, but heard quite good. Going with the Indian theme, Moghul and Ming II in Morristown Plaza is also quite exquisite I hear.

Good luck,

Jim

Hmmm, Chengdu.  I'll consider it.  :biggrin:

Just to throw a non-ethnic possibility into the mix...anyone know if there's baked alaska available in the same NJ area?  That's also been on my to-try list for some time, and maybe more available around Randolph?  Thanks..!  -J

Had baked alaska at South City Prime in Little Falls, last night!