• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Golden, not Golding, Hops

jupe

Last year my wife purchased a Golden Hop rhizome from a local nursery and planted it near our pond. It didn't do much the first year, but this year it went bananas. It has more cones than I could believe, and it's trying to take over our ten year old honeysuckle.

So my question is this: anyone know if it's of any culinary value? The cones aren't mature yet, but i've tasted them compared to some Cascades I'm raising and they weren't bitter at all. If they're just decorative I'm fine with that, but if not we have so many I'd love to brew with them.

Please delete my account from eGullet

• 2 weeks later...
Last year my wife purchased a Golden Hop rhizome from a local nursery and planted it near our pond.  It didn't do much the first year, but this year it went bananas.  It has more cones than I could believe, and it's trying to take over our ten year old honeysuckle. 

So my question is this:  anyone know if it's of any culinary value?  The cones aren't mature yet, but i've tasted them compared to some Cascades I'm raising and they weren't bitter at all.  If they're just decorative I'm fine with that, but if not we have so many I'd love to brew with them.

Chances are they're humulus japonicus. My neighbour grows them. They're considerably lighter and little yellower in colour with cones similar in size to fuggles and golding. I've heard that they're just ornamental. I've never tried, but my first experiment would be as dry hopping.

edited to add:

I should have done this first ... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1153/

They are humulus lupulus. Meaning they produce lupulin which is what you're really after in brewing. It's the yellow dust that appears among the petals of the bractioles. I'd definitely try brewing with them if you're willing to go through the effort of harvesting and drying.

Mark.

Edited by mtigges (log)