• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sexy food?

Lilija

I'm having one of those hostess parties, not a candle party, or a Chef type thing, or anything like that...but for the 18+ girls only crowd, if ya catch my drift... I had one last year, and it was a huge hit, I had a great assortment of nibbles, but this year I want to outdo myself, so I'm going with kind of a theme.

I want sexy, sensual, aphrodisiac (also, easy, make-ahead, crowd pleasing). No vegetarians, no super adventerous eaters, and oysters are probably out. I'm mainly looking for savory, hot or cold, and a few kinds of mixed drinks that I could whip up by the pitcherful.

I have the sweets covered, my friend is loaning me her chocolate fountain, add strawberries and other fresh fruits, cake chunks, tiny brownies, and pretzels, and dessert is served. Plus, I think my friend is bringing one of those oh-so-tasteful anatomy cakes.

So, sexy nibbles, any ideas?

I would have thought anything you have to eat with your hands that you then have to lick your fingers. Also, asparagus. Have bunches of bananas around. Phallic things of course. Maybe kebabs or things you have to bite off of a stick (what are they called when they're made of mince and shaped around a stick then fried?). Food that makes you giggle. drinks like orgasms you can have predone in shot glasses.

oh I have a recipe for Dill dough buns from the Myra Breckinridge cookbook (I guess any recipe for that would work) Get it? haha that could be fun. I imagine a sense of humor is great for an evening like this.

Also you can get pasta in the shape of mens bits. Even the italians have this - as penne when pronounced incorrectly sounds like a mans thingy. (trying to be vague for the site btw) Soo a dish of penne with a hot spicy sauce? Subtle enough but should someone ask.....

Edited by kermie (log)

[ Maybe kebabs or things you have to bite off of a stick (what are they called when they're made of mince and shaped around a stick then fried?).

You mean Kubideh? Or do I misread you?

Sincerely,

Dante

Edited by Dante (log)

I personally think what brings the sexy to food is texture and unexpected surprises. Making it look like body parts is kinda bachelorette-party to me. Silky, smooth textures with unexpected contrasts. A little heat in unexpected places (like a bit of chile and/or ginger in the chocolate ice cream or mousse or whatever). This sounds like a fun topic, I'm going to have to think about it a bit.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

no, penis shaped pasta isn't meant to be sensual - it is meant to be funny and an icebreaker for such an evening I would think. It's a hostess party not a hot night with your partner. I've been to these before and a sense of humor is what makes these evenings fun. I would think you'd want a little bit of over the top. Not sure about the bacon and gravy even for a hot night.

I do think the popsicles are a good idea though.

Cherries good too - but as i'm deathly alleregic to them I tend not to think of them straight away.

sorry Dante - really can't remember the name of them

I understand that but she said "I want sexy, sensual, aphrodisiac". Apologies if I misunderstood.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

...but for the 18+ girls only crowd, if ya catch my drift...

If I don`t catch your drift I apologise, however I would try things like seared fresh peach chunks on cocktail sticks with a greek yoghurt and honey dip. Smoked mussels and a creme fraiche and dill dip.

To be honest any sticky finger food will be good :wink:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

I understand that but she said "I want sexy, sensual, aphrodisiac". Apologies if I misunderstood.

You would be correct! My friend is already bringing the penis cake, whether I want it or not, haha, and that's the beginning and end of "lewd food" for me. I think the man bits macaroni is just a little too "in your face".

I really like the idea of little kebabs, or even sate. Now to figure out a way of making it kind of ahead.

I've got my hands on a chocolate fountain, I'm planning on making a spicy chile and cinnamon spiked dark chocolate fondue, for it.

Some other ideas, that I've come up with since last night:

Cheese fondue (to go with the chocolate, or would that be too much?)

vodka marinated spicy cherry tomatoes (Bloody Mary Poppers)

something with smoked salmon, maybe smoked wrapped around asparagus spears, with Boursin somewhere in the mix?

Popsicles are a nice idea, but I'm wondering how it'll hold up in a finger foods hostess party type setting, hmm. A nice watermelon puree would be pretty, pink, and a little perverted, depending on what kind of mold I find.

Oh, and I'm all for the sexy waiter! Only, all the husbands and boyfriends that are quarantined in the bar across the street might take offense.

I LOVE all these responses, I knew I could rely on eGullet, haha. More! I have over a month to plan!

Edit: Henry dV, you caught my drift exactly, and I love both of those ideas...

Edited by Lilija (log)

sorry tri2cook I wasn't actually responding to your msg I think it just came out after yours due to timing.

our job is to throw out ideas - if you get some that are good or are inspired to others -that is the whole point. I only mentioned the manbit shaped pasta actually to show that even the italians get the penne joke and make fun of it themselves but i guess i said the story backwards and it came out differently than i intended. oh well.

what about spears of pineapple or banana for the fondue?

nigella has a recipe for slut red raspberries in chardonnay (jello)- which is very nice and not lewd looking (actually quite pretty) good name too.

popsicles could just be brought round at a certain point in the evening and thats it.

no to the cheese fondue. but what about spears of veg (baby courgette, carrot and cherry tomatoes etc with a bagna cauda)

Edited by kermie (log)

I know exactly the kind of party you're having...give the girls the kinds of nibbles they usually pass up on....the decadent ones they really want. :)

Here's a few suggestions,

baked artichoke spinach dip, all gooey, hot and bubbly, and delish.

stuffed mushrooms, go classic with buttery breadcrumbs, mix in a little italian sausage and top with parm cheese....or super easy with buttery boursin that you pop in the oven for a few minutes.

the most outrageous and most often requested appetizer that I make,

mushroom crostini w/ creamy blue cheese and proscuitto

These spiced beef cigars can be suggestively shaped. :) Made with phyllo dough, they are another appetizer that I have to bring each year at holidays.

A dip that is a little healthy, but still outrageously gooey, melty and delicious is made with hummus, artichokes and feta.

In that same post is another all time favorite, nacho dip in a bowl, made with refried beans, cream cheese, cheddar, etc. that you bake or nuke and then dip chips into...absolutely yum.

Also in that post is my classic guacamole recipe, that's a sexy, silky, delicious dip.

Lastly, for something a little fancier, try this easy elegant treat, made with puff pastry, fig spread, goat cheese, thyme and proscuitto. Comes together in less than 20 minutes including baking time.

Some easy, no cook options are bowls of marinated olives, spiced nuts, pates and good bread and crackers...a selection of exotic cheese, such as explorateur, and other triple cremes, sliced ripe tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella. Oh, and if you can find it, Humbolt Fog aged goat cheese is amazing, and Purple Haze is a lovely fresh goat cheese that is coated in thyme and lavender, great flavor.

Enjoy!

Edited by pam claughton (log)

if you want watermelon try a medium sized "seedless" one spiked not with vodka but with limoncello....

baked buffalo spiced drummetts with some homemade blue cheese dressing? the heat from the sauce and the cooling factor of cheese and mayo with the pop of vinegar... some fresh cherry or teardrop tomatoes as well since it is the season here and all

i'm seeing figs in the stores right now so how about some figs stuffed with blue cheese, wrapped with some prosciutto and popped into a 400 oven for about 5-8 minutes. sweet, salty, savory ... uh.... got to go do that the figs are upstairs and i just picked up some maytag

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

When we did some renovations in the basement we found a pile of old playboy magazines from the late 1960's and early 1970's hidden in a suspended ceiling. (probably the secret stash of the previous occupants of the house). In one of these, I found a series of erotic images made of fruits and vegetables. I also remember a publicity using a similar imagery to promote a vegetarian lifestyle a few years ago.

I guess all that is needed to transform food into erotic art, is a little bit of thought on how to place it on a plate.

By the way, it is almost impossible not to pace two roasted quails on a plate and not end up with something suggestive.

When we did some renovations in the basement we found a pile of old playboy magazines from the late 1960's and early 1970's hidden in a suspended ceiling. (probably the secret stash of the previous occupants of the house). In one of these, I found a series of erotic images made of fruits and vegetables. I also remember a publicity using a similar imagery to promote a vegetarian lifestyle a few years ago.

I guess all that is needed to transform food into erotic art, is a little bit of thought on how to place it on a plate.

By the way, it is almost impossible not to pace two roasted quails on a plate and not end up with something suggestive.

sorry tri2cook I wasn't actually responding to your msg I think it just came out after yours due to timing.

No apology necessary even if you had been addressing me. It's a discussion. I don't have to be agreed with or "right" to enjoy a discussion. I was just making sure I was on the right page with what the original poster was looking for. :wink:

As for the food, I'm not entirely sure what I would do for something like this since it (presumably) doesn't necessarily involve couples and is probably more about promoting sexy than putting people in the mood.

I did an 8 course dessert tasting for a group of couples on Valentine's Day. There were no body part representations, no subliminal sexually-positioned foods, not even hearts or the other usual suspects for Valentine's and it was voted very sexy by those who took part. Some should probably have been shown to a room before it was over. Atmosphere was part of the story. Describing what was served would be a bit useless for this discussion as it was all desserts but the main focus (other than taste, of course) involved textures and surprises. Finding an unexpected raspberry in the middle of a mousse, a little flood of sauce in the middle of an ice cream, etc. adds mystery... which is sexy.

I don't get the feeling that this is the sort of sexy you have in mind though, I'm thinking it's more of a "feeling sexy is sexy" type of thing that will encourage the purchase of assorted fun things. I think you've already had a lot of good suggestions for that sort of party but savory sorbets and savory warm custards are fun to play with. Savory-based lollipops might be fun as well. Peeled grape tomatoes marinated in vodka, clam juice, lime juice, hot sauce and worcestershire then seasoned with salt, pepper and celery leaves have a sexy texture (for even more fun, charge them in a soda siphon so they fizz). An edible bloody caesar. You could work some unflavored pop rocks into savory bites to add a little surprise. Anyway, I'll stop babbling. I don't really have any tangible suggestions, just vague ideas.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

You can always go the Sex In The City route and serve Cosmopolitans to drink.

Little Chocolates in the shape of shoes, hats, purses or something more exotic.

Other drinks of course would be: Orgasm, Slippery Nipple, Sex on the Beach, etc.

Cheese, Crackers, Figs, Grapes

Crepe Suzette - You would need to make the crepes ahead of time layered with parchment paper in between.

The French Kiss

Bibb lettuce and fresh Bartlett pear with French Roquefort, pickled pearl onions and Lavender Honey, Pommery mustard vinaigrette

Ginger Kissed Salmon

Sautéed Chilean Salmon on gingered Black Thai Rice with a vegetable blend of boc choy, shitake mushrooms, sweet bell peppers and a soy sake glaze

Like Water for Chocolate had some interesting recipes. I remember something about Rose Petal Sauce

Pumpkin Flower Soup.

Grilled Peach Halves - Serves two side-by-side (open side down) with some whip cream on the side, maybe a honey glaze, etc. (There was a reference in Presumed Innocent book about Carolyn's backside and peaches)

what about vietnamese rolls - the outer layer is soft and the combo of crunch and vermicelli inside with the lovely taste of dip is quite an interesting texture in ones mouth.