• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating and Drinking in Notting Hill

A friend of mine is moving to London in a couple weeks and has gotten a flat in Notting Hill. She's asked me to see if I can come up with some recommendations to ease her transition. She's more familiar with East London so since she'll be living in the western part of the city she's kind of at a loss.

What she's looking for is an assortment of spots to satisfy her frequent cravings for good food and drink. Specifically, she wants to stay in the neighborhood and quickly find a few "go-to's" that she can rely on.

Cuisine isn't super important nor is price. What is important is vibe and atmosphere. Places that are overly trendy aren't really of interest. She's just looking for solid neighborhood spots where she can pop into for a solid meal or a good drink.

Thanks.

A friend of mine is moving to London in a couple weeks and has gotten a flat in Notting Hill.  She's asked me to see if I can come up with some recommendations to ease her transition.  She's more familiar with East London so since she'll be living in the western part of the city she's kind of at a loss.

What she's looking for is an assortment of spots to satisfy her frequent cravings for good food and drink.  Specifically, she wants to stay in the neighborhood and quickly find a few "go-to's" that she can rely on.

Cuisine isn't super important nor is price.  What is important is vibe and atmosphere.  Places that are overly trendy aren't really of interest.  She's just looking for solid neighborhood spots where she can  pop into for a solid meal or a good drink.

Thanks.

Can't recommend The Ledbury highly enough - Michelin place but very unpretentious. It's on Ledbury Road.

Notting Hill has loads of restaurants to recommend if you are looking for solid locals, Osteria basilico (kensington park road) is a great little Italian restaurant, The Electric (soho house group) is on kensington Park road and is great for brunch and the electric cinema is brilliant as well -comfy leather armchairs and a bar. The Ledbury is wonderful - set menu is only £35 for 3 courses and well worth it. Lucky 7's for burgers, The Cow for oysters and guiness 9both on westbourne park road) Hereford Road is a brilliant bistro -esque restaurant with a former chef from st john behind it and a daily changing menu. Cafe Anglais in Bayswater. The lonsdale and montgomery place for cocktails.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I would second Cafe Anglais, Hereford Road and the Ledbury. Your friend would probably also like books for cooks to stock up on pretty much any cookbook she wants and have a tasty lunch!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

great to hear all the rec's for the ledbury i work in the kitchen there and yes its a great place to come for a formal but never stuffy meal.

others to try

the felafel stand on portobello road is great

kiasu 'round on queensway for brilliant cheap malay/singaporean food.

alistair littles tavola for deli stuff.

cafe anglais is great

good luck to her