• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Store bought salsa and chips

Double 0

Yummy! Salsa and chips are one of the BEST combos! I like QuePasa organic yellow corn chips and the heavenly Emerald Valley Kitchen organic hot salsa (refrigerated section). Ahhhh, spicy/crunchy goodness.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Tostitos Gold is my new standard for the Jaymes quick method for chilaquiles. (I searched for the discussions about that and the references are scattered all over the place.)

If you don't know... chilaquiles is a tortilla casserole using the chips, salsa, some broth and fresh cheese, typically. The Gold are heavy enough to retain a good texture in the final dish.

For a salsa standby, I still like Pace, *ducks* but that La Victoria green stuff in the jar is mighty tasty. Herdez ain't bad, either.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Favorite jarred salsa: Coyote Cocina Fire Roasted Tomato. I haven't found any jarred salsa I like better. I love it but now I have to order it by mail/internet since the store that introduced it to me stopped carrying it and I can't find it anywhere else. I would love to find a similar but more accessable salsa. Any suggestions? I've tried Frontera but I don't like it as well.

Favorite chips: Tostitos Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips & Tostitos Organic Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips. If I can't find these, I buy my old favorite: Tostitos Restaurant Style White Corn Tortilla Chips. I think they are making them all without the trans-fat oils, too.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Goya Salsa Pico de gallo. I put this on everything, I swear. Comes in a glass jar and tastes like freshly-made. It's not thick and "cooked." I don't do chips much. And when I do, I just grab the bag I know--can't think of the brand right now. :cool:

I agree! I usually make my own salsa but always have a couple of jars of Goya around. With its fresh flavor at a buck and a half a jar, it can't be beat.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I like the Jose Madrid salsas, which are made in Ohio. Mostly I just get the specialty ones, like the garlic-olive or the raspberry.

By and large I don't like jarred salsas because they taste like vinegar, and I don't like tomatoes and vinegar together very much. Especially not when I think, "Hey, salsa sounds good!" because for some reason I associate salsa with fresh tomatoes and the vinegar just kills that for me.

(I grew up eating tomatoes out of hand with just a little bit of salt, so this may have something to do with my feelings on the matter.)

Jennie

I like the thick cut tostitos, but Herr's are good too. The ones with lime flavor inside are also tasty.

For salsa, it is either Chichi's Brand or Herr's for me. Although I will have to try out some of the recipes for mexican table sauces from the eCGI course.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Here in Ohio good, fresh salsas are few and far between.

I do have to agree with jeniac42 that Jose Madrid salsas are pretty damn good. The raspberry is my favorite, in fact, sometimes I just eat it straight out of the jar...sans chips.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

• 12 years later...

Bumping this topic.

Of course, homemade salsa is the best, but this time of year, for me, that isn't possible.  No tomatoes.  

What is your favorite store bought salsa?  

Mine used to be Hell On The Red salsa but something has changed...or maybe my palate has.  Anyway, looking for ideas.

Oddly enough, mine is Great Value black bean and white corn salsa, from good ol' Wally World. Grate up some cheese in it and go.

It's about the only edible I buy at WalMart.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My new favorite! Taste tested this salsa at the Sunday market in Old Mesilla, NM in November and bought a jar. Then contacted them and ordered 6 more jars to be shipped to me after I got home.

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 3

We like Frontera brand salsas, but I have mixed feelings now that Rick Bayless sold Frontera Foods to ConAgra.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If you live within a reasonable distance of a "supermercado" or a large store that caters to a hispanic population you may find they make their own salsas, and often a good variety. Mi Pueblo, near me, has at least six different salsas that they make and sell in bulk; definitely better than the jarred stuff. Just saying; obviously not everyone lives in a place with a latino population large enough to support that kind of store. If your town has a good taco truck they might sell their salsa to you if you bring a container.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

If you live within a reasonable distance of a "supermercado" or a large store that caters to a hispanic population you may find they make their own salsas, and often a good variety. Mi Pueblo, near me, has at least six different salsas that they make and sell in bulk; definitely better than the jarred stuff. Just saying; obviously not everyone lives in a place with a latino population large enough to support that kind of store. If your town has a good taco truck they might sell their salsa to you if you bring a container.

Do you go to the store on High Street?

There's no dearth of salsa here.  I'm close to three similar markets, as well as three or four more mainstream markets, that sell their own creations, and, like you, I'll often buy salsa at one of them.  Between them, there's a choice of about 20 different salsas, maybe more.  We are fortunate when it comes to food choices.

... Shel

I usually make my own, but, my local supermercado sells some pretty good stuff in the deli. My current favorite is their black salsa. They just label it as 'salsa' but, it's really quite black. They char all the vegetables on their wood-fired grill before tossing them in a food processor. (it's a thin, non-chunky style)

• Like 3

I know this probably won't help Shelby, because I don't think there are any Food Lion grocers in her area, but it might help my neighbors in the Southeast. They're based in Salisbury, NC. I like their store brand of "hot" Thick and Chunky Salsa. It doesn't have added sugar, and is a little John and Jane Q. Public hot. It's got onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, and if you have cilantro at home to dice and mix in, you can take it up a notch. It's good enough though, that I was thinking of walking over to the nearby Food Lion the last time we ate at what used to be our favorite Mexican restaurant to get some decent salsa to go with the good warm chips on offer. The restaurant's salsa really sucked. Haven't been back.

To scoop it up, I like Snyder's white corn tortilla chips or their Restaurant style ones that I bought last time because the available white corn were nearly expired, and it takes me a while to work through a one pound bag. I thought they might be more national, but it looks like the Snyder company is based in Charlotte, NC. So that might not be much help in your area either, sorry @Shelby

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

Bumping this topic.

Of course, homemade salsa is the best, but this time of year, for me, that isn't possible.  No tomatoes.  

I make a red table salsa with canned "roasted" tomatoes and roasted red bell peppers. Obviously it's a very different style from pico de gallo or other salsas that use fresh tomatoes, but it's very good (I once had a student ask if he could buy some) and really easy.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Do you go to the store on High Street?

There's no dearth of salsa here.  I'm close to three similar markets, as well as three or four more mainstream markets, that sell their own creations, and, like you, I'll often buy salsa at one of them.  Between them, there's a choice of about 20 different salsas, maybe more.  We are fortunate when it comes to food choices.

Yes, I'm very fond of the High Street Mi Pueblo; their cheese selection is great, and their jalapeños and poblanos are more reliably hot than any other big markets. They sell an unsalted crema in bulk that's really excellent. And they sell fresh masa which is a treat if you are ever making your own corn tortillas. Their in-house chips are good, if you like that style, and they carry a few things I can't find anywhere else. 

I agree we are pretty spoiled here, and I know many people probably don't have a Mexican deli counter with six different salsas made on the premises. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...