• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Label Anglais - disappointing?

Just had my first ever shipment of the Label Anglais chickens, 4 direct from the farm.

Expecting a bit of a taste sensation as they're so highly touted, I cooked it very simply and both me and the family have been very disappointed - it wasn't really much better than an average organic chicken, certainly not as good as ones we used to get from wellhungmeat.com.

Am I alone in feeling this way? Did I just get an average one as luck of the draw?

I think it was probably a bit of bad luck, which ones did you get? IMO you should avoid the "Special reserve" and go for the leaner bird. Accurate cooking with a LA is essential as they have don't have much fat, a long resting time helps as well. I also find that the larger birds around 2.0kg tend to have a better flavour.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Hi Mathew,

I don't know I will email them and ask. Maybe it is the perfect slot before they start to hatch the Turkey's for Christmas breeding.

I first stumbled across them in Selfridges bought one ( sorry went to the bank and arranged a second mortgage on my abode then bought one)

It really was fantastic in fact the flesh had the most flavour of any chicken I have cooked. The perfect bird to prepare. Just handling it before cooking you knew it was going to be good. They actually had a half price offer once so I bought a few so had the luxury of jointing a couple to cook dishes other than 'Roast Chicken'. It was a pleasure to handle

Do try one!

PS the C in LornaC stands for Cynical

I was wondering about Label Anglais chicken a few months ago when eulogising about Label Rouge chicken in this post here. If you are looking for a chicken taste sensation then i can highly recommend these "Yellow South-West" (shoddy French translation) chicken. Still the best chickens i've had in this country. Matthew is right in saying the flavour of the big birds is much better than the smaller ones. I get them from the wholesale market here in Brum so they should be fairly widely available.

Never did get round to buying any Label Anglais as they come in boxes of four and i hate having to freeze chicken as it ruins the texture. I've only heard good things about them so i'm surprised you're so disappointed.

Hi Mathew,

I don't know I will email them and ask. Maybe it is the perfect slot before they start to hatch the Turkey's for Christmas breeding.

I first stumbled across them in Selfridges bought one ( sorry went to the bank and arranged a second mortgage on my abode then bought one)

It really was fantastic in fact the flesh had the most flavour of any chicken I have cooked. The perfect bird to prepare. Just handling it before cooking you knew it was going to be good. They actually had a half price offer once so I bought a few so had the luxury of jointing a couple to cook dishes other than 'Roast Chicken'. It was a pleasure to handle

Do try one!

PS the C in LornaC stands for Cynical

I'd be curious to know as I would have thought a years worth of chicken production would be worth more than a years worth of turkey production.

Hi Mathew,

My reply from Kelly Turkeys is below.

Maybe I should take up the franchise option! :wink:

Hello,

You are not alone in asking that question...unfortunately it would clash to much with our turkey breeding / growing programme at present with our limited resources.

Hope we can one day though.

regards

Philip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just looking for an update on a bit of," taste sensation" chicken.

Label Rouge sounds great, am in Brum reasonably regularly these days perhaps a journey to the market would be in order.

Any ideas on less than four birds as I'm not keen on freezing?

Which breed is best for flavour? Would consider raising a small flock alongside my ducks :smile:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

One Label Rouge bird may not be the same as another. Label Rouge is not a breed or producer and could be any number of breeds of chicken or farmers that raise their birds to a certain standard.

(See here: Label Rouge Poultry)

I would still suggest Label Anglais are the best and most consistent if cooked carefully. I would also say the larger birds, around the 2kg mark are better than the 1.6kg birds.

One Label Rouge bird may not be the same as another. Label Rouge is not a breed or producer and could be any number of breeds of chicken or farmers that raise their birds to a certain standard.

(See here: Label Rouge Poultry)

I would still suggest Label Anglais are the best and most consistent if cooked carefully. I would also say the larger birds, around the 2kg mark are better than the 1.6kg birds.

Thanks for that.

Been doing a bit of research myself, and spoke to River Cottage about their chooks as Mr F-Whitingstall covered the subject in one of his TV programs when he taste tested about half a dozen different breeds, I can't be sure but I think the Dorking tasted best?

As it turns out they are supplied by http://www.sydling.co.uk/shop/ who raise a French table bird called a Sasso.

May give them a try :smile:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1